Sign in to follow this  
nrcapes

RC4 not loading rcd files- trying to load .flt files

This is a Widefs system. I ran makerwys on the FSX system. Then I started RC4 on the Widefs client and hit Rebuild Scenery DB and gave it the path to the FSX main folder on the FSX system. The rebuild completed successfully. I exited RC4.

With FSX running, I start RC4 version 4.3.3845, then click on Load Previously Saved .RCDs. I select one I just saved from a previous flight using <ctrl><shift><;> or <;>. RC4 says "C:\Documents\FlightSimulatorXFiles\a350_omaa_eham.flt not found." So it is trying to load a .flt file, not an .rcd file. The file has a .rcd file type in Explorer. The RC4 main menu has a button .FLT/.WX PATH not shown on page 101 of the manual. I set this to the same directory as the flight plan directory. Should I be doing this?

This problem only started after my FSX system hard drive crashed and I had to reinsall FSX and FSUIPC4. RC4 running on the Widefs client works fine as far as startup and interacting with the FSX system except for this problem of not being able to load an .rcd file. The input path and the output path for RC4 are both on the Widefs system. I also have Pete Dowson's Autosave module installed on the FSX system.

FSX system is Windows 7. Widefs client system is Windows XP. They are in the same Workgroup and WideFS works fine across the network.

Very frustrating!

The flt\.wxr path is the same for your .pln files (and .rcd files). Are your network shares OK? Does explorer on your host and client show the three file types in your Flight Simulator X folder on your host? I believe you can set explorer to show the full path in the folder title bar so try that on your client.

Browsing to that file for loading a .pln or .rcd sets the path as last used for .pln files only. You set the .wxr\flt path separately. The path you browse to for the .pln or .rcd should be the same as you set for .flt\.wxr in the RC setup. I don't have a network setup so I don't recall if you use a UNC network folder address or a mapped drive.

If you can load a .pln from your client it is not a network rights issue.

Even if you set ";" in the RC keyboard menu that is a conflict with FS ";" default assignment and will set the .flt and .wxr files only. Check your keyboard assignment in RC to insure it is set to ctrl-shft-; or other non-conflicting assignment.

I'll pass this to someone I know uses a network setting.

The path you browse to for the .pln or .rcd should be the same as you set for .flt\.wxr in the RC setup. I don't have a network setup so I don't recall if you use a UNC network folder address or a mapped drive.

I don't have my FS PC turned on but know that RC will accept a full UNC path to the location of pln or rcd files. Mine for example is \\flying\fsplans where \\flying is my FS PC and fsplans is the Flight Simulator Files folder. That's for FS9 of course. For FSX it will be Flight Simulator X Files.

Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The flt\.wxr path is the same for your .pln files (and .rcd files). Are your network shares OK? Does explorer on your host and client show the three file types in your Flight Simulator X folder on your host? I believe you can set explorer to show the full path in the folder title bar so try that on your client.

Browsing to that file for loading a .pln or .rcd sets the path as last used for .pln files only. You set the .wxr\flt path separately. The path you browse to for the .pln or .rcd should be the same as you set for .flt\.wxr in the RC setup. I don't have a network setup so I don't recall if you use a UNC network folder address or a mapped drive.

If you can load a .pln from your client it is not a network rights issue.

Even if you set ";" in the RC keyboard menu that is a conflict with FS ";" default assignment and will set the .flt and .wxr files only. Check your keyboard assignment in RC to insure it is set to ctrl-shft-; or other non-conflicting assignment.

Not sure what the issue was, but setting the .flt/.wx path AND the .pln path in RC on the Widefs machine to a folder (a mapped drive) on the FSX machine solved the problem. Hitting ";" while in FSX brings up a menu to name and save a flight. Hitting <ctrl><shift><;> shows an .rcd file being saved in the RC window to the folder on the FSX machine (which is a mapped drive on the RC Widefs machine). Then, starting RC while FSX is running and hitting "Load Previously Saved RCDs" lets me select the previously saved .rcd and positions the aircraft where it was when the .rcd was saved. This is the way it has always worked for me, and I don't know why it did not work when the .pln and .flt/.wx paths were to folders on the RC (i.e., Widefs) machine.;