Sign in to follow this  
lik3abau55

Weird GPWS Call outs?

Hey guys!

So I was browsing youtube and watched this video

and I hear the GPWS (forgive me idk what it is in a airbus..I'm a boeing guy) call out "9" and I've hear it call weird heights too like 5 or 7. Why does it do that? it seems like a odd height to call because it's not rounded to anything.

Hi,

The normal callout sequence on the newer Airbus is 1000,500,400,300,200,100,50,40,30,20(Retard),10,5 feet .

On autoland 'Retard' is called at 10 ft only.

Now there is also a TIME-OUT (between callout's) built into the system

( something like 11 seconds above 50 ft and 3-4 seconds below, don't remember exactly).

If the time-out has elapsed the ACTUAL real radio-height is called out.

So if the rate of descent is not exactly normal, this can give call-outs like '230' , '110' or '7' !

I the case of your video I suppose the '10' has been masked by the 'Retard' and the '5' has become '9' !

Look at this A380 video. It begins with a '320' call-out and ends with the '5' !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQhmd5gkBI

Guy

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.