Sign in to follow this  
Elsmoko

Runway 12 Object Placer vs FSX

I have read that Runway 12 functions well with FSX.

Installed the subject app and when I try to "Generate Scenery" I get an error message that reads:

"An unhandled exception occurred in your application. .............................................. etc.

Length cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: length "

Is there a work around for this or did I do something incorrectly during installation?

I haven't used this program for so long that it could also be operator error.

Any tips regarding setup / usage with FSX will be appreciated. I need to rid the Cargo tarmac at TXKF of a stray building

and an equipment structure.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Boardman

I have never tried to use RWY12 with FSX. However the error seems to be related to the application itself. I have just started a copy of RWY12 here on Win7 and it started fine.

Having said that you say you want to get rid of some objects. This would usually be done with a tool that creates exclusion rectangles. I am not at all sure that it create exclusions.

The other thing to be aware of is that RWY12 uses the FS9 compiler. Stuff compiled with this can often work in FSX but there can be problems with textures and colors of some objects.

If you just want to remove objects then there are a number of tools that will place exclusions for you.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for responding, and for the good tips. Last night I used FSX Planner for the first time. I used it to exclude the area of the TXKF tarmac that had the

"stray" buildings. It was very easy and effective. I went through my collection of rarely used ~;) scenery tools (SDK Object Placer, AFX, etc) before I determined

that FSX Planner was about the most user friendly for this job.... I didn't try lowering my scenery settings (autogen, etc) because I'm getting good performance as-is;

but I'm curious if lowering them would have caused the "stray buildings" to vanish. I saw an advertised payware program at Flight 1 (Instant Scenery 2)

that likely would have worked for this and was tempted to buy it. If I run into many more scenery issues I will likely get it. Are you familiar with the Instant Scenery

program Jon?

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Boardman

I am pleased you got things to work. Changing Scenery complexity can 'hide' buildings depending on the setting of the object. Each object can have its own setting. So it could work but the chances of getting rid of just the objects you do not want and not hiding a load you do want is rather small.

I am familiar with Instant Scenery although I do not use it myself (being a tool developer I kinda tend to use my own tools). It is, however, and excellent program for placing objects. It has the great advantage that you place objects within the Sim so you can see what is going on. IS2 can also create exclusion rectangles I think. I believe there is a trial version so you might want to have a play and see if it does work for you.

Thank you for the outstanding explanations Jon; and for your insight and tips regarding Instant Scenery 2. I will go after a trial version

and give it a test flight ~:)

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Boardman