Sign in to follow this  
brown_257

CPU Overclock and FPS

Zach

Its not a "kit" per se all modern RAM is dual, triple or quad but it is the way that the motherboard and cpu (memory controller) interpret what you install and how you install/position the RAM sticks. In an i7 960 there are usually 6 RAM slots if you use 3 or 6 you get Triple channel DDR3 use 2 or 4 slots and you get dual channel. My issue was how is that 16GB installed it is probably 4 x 4GB sticks in which case the memory (now installed in 4 slots) is not optimised for the mobo/memory controller etc, and was the memory installed in the correct RAM slots. {I don't thing that it would 3 x 4GB + 1 x 2GB + 2 x 1GB!! or any other combination to 16GB filling all 6 slots which still wouldn't function as triple channel RAM} Plus, to get real performance out of the i7 9xx series most experts tell you that RAM speed and timings can significantly affect performance in FSX.

Me, I tend to agree that there would be little performance difference in real terms between dual and triple cannel, but if the system is unbalanced its not likely to perform as it should. But, there's always a but. The "E" series SB and IB (vastly different memory controllers to the i7 960) use quad channel RAM. FSX can't utilise quad channel RAM, (nor can many other apps) which was developed for high end servers, but look at the forum posts and simmers using these machines don't see any performance issues when compared to the plain vanilla SB/IB's which use dual channel DDR3RAM. So it could be all theoretical.

Regards

PeterH

I'm awares, Peter! That's my point. They are sold as "kits". As in sticks of 2/3/4/etc (goes without saying). A dual channel kit would include 2/4 sticks, and so on (again, I know you know). The word "kit" is commonly used. I meant it's hard to find single, matching sticks of RAM for a kit you already have --in my experience.

RAM speed will affect FPS slightly past the 1600MHz range. Quad vs. Triple vs. Dual will not. Barely.

Short and sweet. I'm only being general, here. I by no means endorse buying the crummiest, cheapest low-timing RAM for an FSX rig. We know better than that.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Zach

Apologies - I misunderstood!! :wub:

Regards

pH

No worries! We're usually on the same page, anyway! I'm just not as good at articulating myself.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules