Sign in to follow this  
OPS1

Monarch airliner skids off taxiway at EGBB

A monarch flight operated by Aurela Airlines skidded off the taxiway whilst taxiing to the gate at bhx. Seems to me he 'understeered' the nose wheel trying to make a corner a little to fast, or maybe putting a lot of power on whilst taking the corner causing the nose wheel to 'understeer' The BBC report speculates that the brakes had locked up causing the aircraft to skid. But as you probably know 737's don't have nose wheel brakes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ingham-19676990

How ironic eh? Another Monarch airliner 'understeering' at LGW. Seems to me in this video that the A330 is lining up a little to fast. Just shows you though how tough nose gears are to have tonnes of weight bashed on them...

What are your views on this phenomena?

Tom

Ouchy for the tires (and maybe the pilot's ego) but when I saw this thread I was expecting to see a jet rolling off the taxiway and onto the grass or something LOL. Guess it would be all over TV if that happened.

Was the original intention a rolling take-off but going a little too fast too soon?????

It must of been! Or maybe the controller instructed him for an immediate take-off for an a/c on short finals so he pancaked took the corner to fast, or maybe stabilized the engines whilst in the turn in preparation for T/O thrust to be applied as soon as he was lined up with the centre line.