Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

Boeing 7E7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"Help pick the plane's name"I would, if they weren't so gosh darn awful:Stratoclimber, Dreamliner, eLiner or Global CruiserStratoclimber - The plane will descend too, right? Too much like the Boeing Stratocruiser of late.Dreamliner - What is this- Disneyland? Why not "SleepyTime Express?"eLiner - Brilliant move to latch onto the "e" craze. Unfortunatly, that craze passed us by with the Dot.Com bust of 2000. The "E" works for Email (Electronic mail), but just sounds stupid on everything else. Besides, it almost looks like eyeLiner. And no one wants that. Plus, "Liner" worked well for Ocean liners. It doesn't work for modern aircraft.Global Cruiser - Neato, guys! Were you watching Star Wars when thinking up that brilliant name? Very similar to "Death Cruiser", no? Besides, cruisers are warships, not passenger aircraft.I really hate to be so negative about all these names. The idea to name the jets was lukewarm to begin with, let alone the world's worst names possible. I'll leave you with one thought. Our popular nickname for the 747 - The Jumbo Jet was not intentional at all. The name caught on after a newspaper reporter compared the new jet to a popular circus elephant, and the name stuck. What was Boeing's choice? Believe it or not, "Airbus".

:-lol Very nice Mike. Your spiel on eLiner makes me wonder if they blindly considered iLiner at one point. Well written :-beerchug

Mike,I was thinking exactly the same thoughts when I visited the site.And to think some marketing people got paid (most probably) big bucks to come up with the names.I could understand EcoLiner, but eLiner? I'm suprised they didn't include WorldTraveller, WorldTraveller Plus (thanks BA).I was actually expecting to see something along the lines of PorpoiseLiner or DolphinCruiser due to its look. :-lolI guess they weren't willing to stick their heads that far out the window.Cheers,-T[table][tr][td]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td]Todd IngallsMember of [link:www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=5E79C613-0A60-4A3B-BDC1-F9EE49F2D4FE]Join the AVSIM Team Fight Against Cancer!][/td][/tr][/table.----BEGIN FS CODE BLOCK----G:EDDM(DE) a R- FS++ F+ P U+ X C+ H+>++ O+ V-- A+(++) SP?>+++-----END FS CODE BLOCK-----

Have to agree - the names are terrible. I think they should go back to the famed names from the past - stratoliner for one would be a terrific name. Lockheed did it with the Electra. A little nostalgia for the golden age of flying might not be such a bad thing. Colin

I pick Dreamliner, dream as in much sought after!Robb

The names are all dreadful but it doesn't matter much. It will end up being called a B787, or something similar, and the name will probably never be heard again (did they 'name' the 737, 767, 777, etc.? if so, who remembers?).The stylised design will also be discarded, even Boeing admitted it was like one of those Detroit concept cars that gets considerably toned down for production. In the end it will be indistinguishable from a 777 because that is the optimum shape for aerodynamics and production economy.

My first question before even thinking of the name is why team up with AOL? Yes -they may be big- but they lose hundreds of customers a day becuase of their "high speed service" , friendly customer assistance, and spam email ... But Boeing is Boeing- they must have pretty good strength is choosing these theives (IMHO)...many bad experiences...Stratoclimber eLiner Dreamliner Global Cruiser .... you've got to be kidding me...lets says that less than 10 percent of the users of AOL know the names of the Boeing Fleet of fine commerical aircraft, same with Airbus....These people will pick little kiddy names... Dreamliner sounds like a tampon (excuse me) in my opinion.... those ames just arent good enough for this jet....My two cents worth...Jason :-wave