Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I'm looking for help with my system which I have upgraded to in the summer. It was my first build and I learnt a huge amount from doing it, but I am definitely still a pc system noob! I bought all new parts for the system to hopefully ensure a trouble free setup, no such luck! The computer randomly crashes and I cannot find a cause or a solution for it! When the computer works it wors very well ans shows no sign of any problems, and then all of a sudden it will freeze, do nothing for a while and then shut down as if the plug has been pulled. Sometimes it will work for 4 or more hours with FSX, other games, movies or CAD working then freeze, other times I don't even get to the windows log on screen before it does it.

I have tried a different hard drive, different RAM, and downgraded from windows 7 ultimate to a complete vanilla install of windows 7 professional with no effect. I heard it can be a driver issue but in my device manager everything appears OK. I also heard it could be a conflict between the internal and external GPU so I turned off the onboard GPU and that didn't help. I've also heard that it could be a PSU problem but I would expect it to turn off straight away rather than freeze first, but that comes from almost no experience at all so I could be wrong!

My spec is:

Intel i5 3570k Ivybridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz with turbo boost on MoBo, also tried turning off, no difference)

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H MoBo

8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD

550W OCZ ZT Series 80 Plus PSU

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CPU Cooler

Windows 7 Professional

I'm all out of ideas to try so hopefully the many years of experience on here may come up with a solution. Apologies if this has been posted about before or if it is a simple fix I am unaware of (and this huge essay to read!).

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Have you the last bios ?

The Z77 boards have some issiues with random shutowns ( all vendors).

usb3 and sata drivers

They often work with Sandy bridge CPUs but can be problems with Ivy Bridge.

I have no problems when running à 2700k but when swap to the 3770K i get some

Random shutowns , solwed with bios uppdate

Hasse

Apologies for it taking me so long Hasse but you were absolutely correct, after many frustrating hours and a fair wedge of money spent trying to fix my problem it was a simple, free, 5 minute BIOS update that solved the issue and I haven't had a single problem since. Thanks very much for your advice, sorry again it took so long to post my gratitude!