Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Help with my overclock

Hi All

OK so I've just built a new system and am attempting overclocking for the first time (eek!)

I've read a few guides, so I think I understand the basic principles, but would appreciate some guidance from those more knowledgable than myself.

I have a 3570K on a Gigabyte Z77 MOBO.

OK, so I started by upping the multiplier to 42 and leaving the Vcore untouched. This booted fine and handled the Prime95 test fine, no BSODs or anything.

I then upped to 43 and had to increase the Vcore to be able to avoid BSODs in Prime 95. Same again going up to 44.

At 44x I had to increase the Vcore to 1.33 to get it to avoid crashing in Prime95. I think this is a little on the high side for the voltage isn't it?

I wanted to go up to 45x but even at 1.36 Vcore it wasn't stable under Prime95.

So,. questions...

1) Am I ok to leave it at 1.33Vcore or is this too high? I don't want to have to go down below 4.4 if I can avoid it. I haven't changed either the VTT or PLL voltages.

2) Any tips for getting it higher and stable? Or should I not be aiming any higher at all?

Appreciate any help

Martin

Temps at 1.33vcore ?

As long as you have less then 80c you be safe at 1.38vcore 24/7

But its up to you to decide, your CPU seems to be à voltage hungry one bad luck.

Hasse

Hasse

I think the temps reached 73 during prime95 at 1.33. The case is well ventilated and cooler good.

My computer is probably used about 20 hrs per week, certainly never 24/7

Will try up to 1.38 and see if I can get it stable at 4.5

Should I be playing with the other voltages, pll and vtt?

Martin

Also curious as to how the ram frequency affects things.

I have 2000 MHz ram but had to enable xmp in the bios to use that frequency. When I do, I get blue screen on boot so had to drop it to 1800mhz

OK, so after a bit more testing, I'm getting CTD's in FSX at 4.4Ghz - 1.33Vcore, despite having been fine during Prime95 tests.

I'm guessing I've done something wrong.

If anyone can offer any advice I'd be very grateful.

Martin