Sign in to follow this  
Finnerz

Correct Runway Usage

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum - I wasn't sure if the scenery builder forum would be better but I am not a builder, just looking to change one setting.

I run the default Heathrow scenery with a freeware terminal 5 addon but I find it irritating that both runways are used for takeofff and landing whereas in real life one is used for takeoff and the other landing and then they swap round at 15:00 (I think). Is there a way of putting this into FSX? I have attached the "FILE_ID" document from the original download folder in case that helps.

Thanks very much

Hi,

Basically, the real world operation of the runways is not able to be replicated in FSX because no runway is ever permanently closed to either takeoffs or landings.

From what I understand, FSX cannot selectively close runways to traffic based on any specific factors. The only option available is to modify the AFCAD file, closing one or both runways permantly to either arrivals or departures (your preference can dictate this...).

A work-around might be to have two AFCADs - one arranged for landing 27R/09L and departing 27L/09R and the other file being the opposite. This would then involve you changing between the AFCADs as you see fit (when FSX is not running).

I hope this was somewhat helpful :)

Thank you both for your replies. I had a look at the linked scenery files but unfortunately they both have a terminal 5 made from default objects (or at least no like the real one) and an older control tower, so wouldn't work with my current scenery. Is there a way to either edit my existing AFCAD file (I'm afraid I have no experience with this) or to combine two different scenery objects (i.e. the best bits of both sets of scenery) that isn't massively complicated?

I think maybe you could omit the object file and just use the runway file. I think the runway file ends in AS. Try it out. Also just on a side note, check out UK2000 website and have a look at they're payware EGLL. I have that and am yet to be assigned 09L as a takeoff runway.

Edit. UK2000 also have a freeware version of Heathrow

Gavin Price

Thanks again. I will have a look in a bit. I am seriously considering getting the UK2000 scenery, but at the minute want to improve my frame rates (bad enough with default scenery) so I can enjoy it if I get it.