Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

XP 10 in Linux.

Hi all,

I have installed XP 10 + updates in Ubuntu Quantal 64 bit. I am using a HD 7750 2GB with Catalyst 12.11 Beta , I am not getting good frames and I have the HD 7750 enjoying high settings.

If I run XP 10 in Win 7 with Catalyst 12.11 Beta I get very nice fps , what I noticed was a jump from 40s to 55s .

I am wondering if anyone of you fellows is running XP 10 in Linux on an AMD card and enjoying the frame rates.

Please do let me know.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hello,

Are you using a compositing window manager ?

Happy flying.

Are you refering to Compiz ? or you refering to xdm ? I am using Ubuntu quantal Studio 64 bit 12.10, and the DE is Gnome 2.0 with AMD Catalyst 12.11 beta proprietary drivers. I am not pulling more than 25-28 fps. and the same in Win 7 is like 40-60 fps.

Hmm my FPS is about the same with Nvidia. Maybe this helps a little:

http://www.phoronix...._desktops&num=1

Do you mean you are getting different frames in windows and Linux ?

And I see you running FSX in wine , so how is the performance ?

About the same or slightly better with the old driver than on Windows. Now I've updated to 310* and this seems only to increase FPS for Valve games.

FSX is only little slower than on Vista. But again, I need to test that as I had some issues with my joystick before. Also DRM activation pops up after ~10 min.

About the same or slightly better with the old driver than on Windows. Now I've updated to 310* and this seems only to increase FPS for Valve games.

FSX is only little slower than on Vista. But again, I need to test that as I had some issues with my joystick before. Also DRM activation pops up after ~10 min.

Yeah let me know after testing FSX.

I use a 7750 and somehow I am noticing if I use lower settings in XP10 the FPS drops to 5-9, and the moment I am max settings including HDR / FXAA and everything max except Water and Shadow the fps jumps up to 20s. I think it is the GCN architecture benefitting

Just fired up FSX in default Wine as of Ubuntu 12.10. FPS is just ok, running smooth around 15 FPS with my GTX 460. The Nvidia update seems to have fixed some issues. For ex. I remember vaguely the top panel to have been broken before and some other things. Still, for now I only want to fly with keyboard/mouse, I've problems looking around with the mouse. Any help someone?

I've problems looking around with the mouse. Any help someone?

###### + mouse IIRC (I use Facetracknoir)

Recompiled on my old Ubuntu 10.04 32bit with:

CONFARGS="--without-xinput2"

which fixed indeed the mouse problem. Flew ~25 min. until it said thanks for trying fsx.

So it works fine now but got lower FPS. Maybe because I'm using on 10.04 the 306* stable

driver? Building wine on 64bit seems complicated, in contrast on 32 bit all I do is in tools directory. ./wineinstall

I boot half a dozen Operating Systems with Grub 2. Makes updating OS etc. so easy alike sudo update-grub.