Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Approach - From the Marker?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone please explain what approach means when they say " 7 miles from the marker turn left heading 310 degrees......Approach ".

At first.........after I received these instructions I continued to fly my current heading of (250 degrees) thinking I'd hear the Outer Marker audio and that would be the que to start the turn to 310 as instructed by Approach Control, but I heard nothing so I flew way past my turn point.

Basically I need to know what instrument etc tells me when to make that turn on to 310 degrees so I can capture the localizer?

Many Thanks in advance

John

Sounds like the instruction is - 7 miles from the outer marker, turn left 310 deg to intercept the localiser for the ILS

Craig

It means : You are now 7 miles from the outer marker, if you turn left onto heading 310, you will intercept the localiser. So turn on VOR/LOC. and let it do its work.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thanks Guys,

So basically I should be executing the turn the moment I receive the instruction from Approach Control (in this case 310 degrees).

Thanks again Craig & Ian for your help and advice.

John