Sign in to follow this  
Sim pilot

General question

I have a question that is regarding flight video's. I don't know if any of you ever do flight video's but it has facinated me for awhile. When I watch them how do they video passenger view, and still manage to land center of runway. Every time I try the same look the liner goes off the runway. Is it possible that they use two monitors one for looking out the cockpit view, the other videoing out the passenger window? Or are they just good at it as it takes practice (lots of). They make it seem as though you are a passenger upon landing. Just curious. Thanks very much appreciated

First you need to install FS Recorder. It installs into FS9 and you access it through the top menu bar. You can google this and download it from the main site. It's a free add on for FS9. It records all the data from your flight so you can watch a replay of it after you stop recording.

You'll have to assign a record/stop and load replay buttons to FS Recorder. So if you're doing your approach, whenever you're ready, just hit the record button.

Replays from FS Recorder can only be viewed within FS9, similar to the default "instant replay" feature in FS9.

Then you need a screen capture program. Fraps (payware) seems to be the most popular. They do offer a free trial version, but it only records 30 sec clips and leaves a small "fraps.com" watermark on the top of the screen.

When you're ready. Load the saved replay from FS Recorder, switch to wing view, and record what's on the screen with fraps.

Some FS9 aircrafts have wing view built in. Others don't. I believe you need DBS Walk and Follow in order to get wing view on aircrafts that don't have one.

Keep in mind, the files created by fraps will be huge. They are uncompressed HD captures from your screen.

To finish your video. You can use an editing software where you can add other sounds or music. When you're done editing, save it. The software should add it's own compression to your video so it takes up less space. After that you're ready for a youtube upload. I'm cheap so I use Windows Movie Maker which is free but I had to do some changes to edit in 1080p. Also, it only saves in 24fps, so Fraps has to be set to record at 24fps for me.

It's easy and fun once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps.

Thanks groovin_ DC-10, I have always wondered how they do it because it seems frame smooth. It looks as though they using two monitors. Once along time ago I made a FS Recorder for my own use just to play with it, so I have somewhat a understanding but when they do it it seems the transition is very clean so as to look like you are the one looking out of the passenger view. Amazing. I enjoy looking at them. Again thanks.

One version of FSRecorder is able to render by itself the video using the recorded data. You get an .avi video without sound but with perfect quality. You can fly your sequence, record it with sliders low when you want very good FPS and afterwards you play it back, sliders high and FSRecorder renders the video frame by frame.With sliders high it takes longer, but who cares...brilliant details and absolutly smooth, you only have to add sound afterwards. For that you could use Fraps, recording the sound during a second play back with FSRecorder. Sliders can be all low, you only need the sound file, don't you? Put the sound file and the video file together in your video mix program, add music if you want and everything is fine. ^_^

Manfred

One version of FSRecorder is able to render by itself the video using the recorded data. You get an .avi video without sound but with perfect quality. You can fly your sequence, record it with sliders low when you want very good FPS and afterwards you play it back, sliders high and FSRecorder renders the video frame by frame.With sliders high it takes longer, but who cares...brilliant details and absolutly smooth, you only have to add sound afterwards. For that you could use Fraps, recording the sound during a second play back with FSRecorder. Sliders can be all low, you only need the sound file, don't you? Put the sound file and the video file together in your video mix program, add music if you want and everything is fine. ^_^

Manfred

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I did in the video I just posted.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.