Sign in to follow this  
Norseman_

Winds aloft and a few other questions.

First of all, thank you for this excellent addon! This have revolutionized weather for FSX!

I have a couple questions regarding winds aloft and weather updates though.

Firstly, i`m right now cruising at FL370 just off the NW tip of Spain enroute to LPMA. The observed wind is 283\20 but on the winds aloft charts from the met office the wind should be in the 50+ knots range, the direction seems to be right though. The wind strength has been "stuck" at 20 knots for the last 5-600 miles or so with a few changes in direction underway. I tried refreshing weather and restarting Opus but to no avail.

Second: Every few minutes there is a gentle "flicker" on the horizon that i would guess comes from the weather updates, is there anybody else experiencing this?

Three: In the PMDG NGX in 2D cockpit mode you should be able to see the left wingtip when you look over your left shoulder but after installing Opus it has disappeared. I guess this have something to do with the camera module? When you first look that way after loading the plane the wingtip is there but it suddenly disappears after a couple seconds.

Brgds

Kevin

I'm new to Opus, using it with default settings and every several seconds have sky flickering unless I disable weather updates. This happens with jet liners. So far I'm happy with the OpusFSX only for general aviation flights.

Alexy

We did have an issue with weather updating at high altitudes in a previous beta, have you upgraded to the latest?

Regarding the wingtip problem it could be the Missing aircraft textures - skeleton view problem.

Basically the skeleton aircraft results from positioning the eye point for an external view but with a cockpit (VC) view selected on the display. We cannot actually determine what view is displayed, the software is forced to just select 2D then count in steps from there.

For correct operation your views should cycle (S key) between,

VC - Spot - Tower - Aircraft - External

You should also make sure you have not hidden any of these views by setting their CycleHidden field to Yes. For correct operation each of these view types must be set as CycleHidden=No.

Before disabling EZCA to test Live Camera in Opus, the EZCA configuration utility must be run and the "Restore" function selected to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise EZCA camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files.

Regards

Cheryl

Hello, i updated to latest version today and the problem seems to have gotten worse, now the clouds redraw at least once a minute. I have set the updates to 2 minutes and 196km.

Also, i have noticed FSX adds lightning to all CB clouds, is there a way to force lightning only when thunderstorms have been reported?

Thanks!

Hi Kevin

I would recommend setting defaults i.e. your update time to 30 minutes and if you are using GRIB set GRIB friendly winds. Had you set destination and alternates since OpusFSX will update near to these airfields to make sure the weather is correct. We will perhaps change this to update the destination and first alternate.

FSX always draws lightning with CBs, there might be something we can do in the future.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi Kevin

I will have a look at somehow coordinating the weather refreshes for your destination and alternates. CB notification in METARs does mean likelihood of thunderstorm activity, you don't just need to have TS reported as a condition. CB means the same, as part of the international METAR description.

In METARs the term CB implies thunderstorm clouds ... extract from a METAR definition,

CB, (Cumulonimbus, or a shower/thunderstorm)

The condition term or descriptor 'TS' can also be used even when CBs are not reported as a warning of thunderstorm activity.

If it says either CB or TS in the METAR then you should expect thunderstorm activity, but with TS there may not be CBs overhead at that moment in time.

Regards

Stephen

I tried resetting the weather download settings and it seems a bit better now. Maybe an option to lock update intervals at a predefined time instead of time vs. distance would do the trick?

As for TS with CB`s you are right but not for all parts of the world, up here (Scandinavia) we often have reports of CB activity but very rarely have any lightning and if we do they add TS to the METAR. During winter time you will see CB reports all the time and this would mean a whole lot of thunderstorms in FSX but not in real life. So an option to inhibit thunderstorms unless they are specifically reported would add a lot to realism in certain parts of the world. This is an option in "the other" weather program for fsx and is really handy.

Anyway, these are just small things and you have done a great job so far! Thank you once again!

Kevin