Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

Performance with DX10

Hi All,

I am using DX10 , I thought I would gain some performance but I am not sure it has. I have done the installation of the DX10 shaders according to Stevie's guide.

Could it be my CPU ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Have you started with a clean cfg. with not tweaks. Performance on my AMD rig is much better than on DX-9. I also used kostas guide and this has worked suprisingly well. I see your using AMD GFX card. This is where kostas guide wont do you any good. I hand a 6950 and sold it and went nvidia for this reason. It just wouldnt work with DX-10. Your are going to have to get more speed out of ur processor. Prob better than 4.0 ghz. If possible. I was using a 965 and worked good @3.9 ghz. Some folks have been able to get the amd cards to work for DX-10, I was just not one of them. Good luck I hope this helps.

Jamie Moses

Have you started with a clean cfg. with not tweaks. Performance on my AMD rig is much better than on DX-9. I also used kostas guide and this has worked suprisingly well. I see your using AMD GFX card. This is where kostas guide wont do you any good. I hand a 6950 and sold it and went nvidia for this reason. It just wouldnt work with DX-10. Your are going to have to get more speed out of ur processor. Prob better than 4.0 ghz. If possible. I was using a 965 and worked good @3.9 ghz. Some folks have been able to get the amd cards to work for DX-10, I was just not one of them. Good luck I hope this helps.

Jamie Moses

Yes I think I will start with a clean cfg file and re-do the tweaks. ah pushing my CPU to 4.0 hmm I don't I want to go to that path as my board needs to give it around 1.55v to reach a 4.0 ghz stable and I have personally have not noticed any difference in FSX between 3.8 or 4.0 ghz on my CPU, Ya it could be the GPU. thnx

Above 4.0 is where you will see the improvement. I went with the new 8350 and have it clocked stable @ 4.8 and there is a big difference with this chip @ 4.0 stock and 4.8. I havent pushed it any further because I feel there isnt a need too. This chip makes some good horsepower. Its still not on the same stage as it intel chips but they are getting better. One of the things Word Not Allowed states in his tweaking guide is that higher clock speeds on the cpu the higher your frame rates will be. This is true

Jamie Moses

100% agree, Jamie, and anywhere above 4.6 the experience gets an enormous boost. Tie that with a good graphics card - and I mean an Nvidia GTX 480, 570 580 660 and above - not an ATI card, some testing and configuring, and you will be in FSX Nirvana.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Above 4.0 is where you will see the improvement. I went with the new 8350 and have it clocked stable @ 4.8 and there is a big difference with this chip @ 4.0 stock and 4.8. I havent pushed it any further because I feel there isnt a need too. This chip makes some good horsepower. Its still not on the same stage as it intel chips but they are getting better. One of the things Word Not Allowed states in his tweaking guide is that higher clock speeds on the cpu the higher your frame rates will be. This is true

Jamie Moses

Damn u using a PD ? and getting good performance ?

Yep and I am locking out four cores and using eight. The chip is at its best on 8 cores. Fsx doesnt seem to mind either,thats the weird thing ,I have read posts about hyperthreading and fsx not getting along and have also read posts that say 8350 is not a true 8 core. the schematic of the chip shows 8 cores so I have to assume this is were I have an advantage over locking out 4 cores. I am running this on a 990FX sabertooth board with latest bois and this thing rocks. Trust me when I say I was just about to jump ship to intel. I think I will hold off for a while, cause this chip just keeps showing me it can hang with fsx and all of my addons. The biggest improvement though was goin to nvidia for GFX, and its just a 560ti Evga. day and night difference.

Jamie Moses

Yep and I am locking out four cores and using eight. The chip is at its best on 8 cores. Fsx doesnt seem to mind either,thats the weird thing ,I have read posts about hyperthreading and fsx not getting along and have also read posts that say 8350 is not a true 8 core. the schematic of the chip shows 8 cores so I have to assume this is were I have an advantage over locking out 4 cores. I am running this on a 990FX sabertooth board with latest bois and this thing rocks. Trust me when I say I was just about to jump ship to intel. I think I will hold off for a while, cause this chip just keeps showing me it can hang with fsx and all of my addons. The biggest improvement though was goin to nvidia for GFX, and its just a 560ti Evga. day and night difference.

Jamie Moses

That was a typo I meant GPU and not CPU sorry.

I get good fps on the current settings in DX9 in NL2000, it was just that i felt that DX10 would give me a better boost.

Yeah, Your gpu is going to be the culprit. Have you used any of Stevejps ati settings?

Let me just add your cpu is probably also holding you back somewhat!

Yeah, Your gpu is going to be the culprit. Have you used any of Stevejps ati settings?

Let me just add your cpu is probably also holding you back somewhat!

yep using steves settings. let 1st try the new cfg and get back.

Hello Paul, This new chip and gfx card no longer give me the desire to give swimming lessons. :yahoo:

Ok, Let us know how it turns out. Once you get your config tweaked post a copy here and rename it ironmaidentxt and lets look at it.

:LMAO: :LMAO:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ok, My settings in FSX currently almost to max without any special effects and made water to high 1.x , I am using the Grob 115e with NL2000 and the Airfield is Seppe (EHSE) using Bojote Shader Mod 3. No tweaks at all in the FSX.cfg or Afiinity set in cfg, using Project Lasso to set Priority and memory priorities. I am getting around 34-37 fps now that's good ah. nice nice.

Going to tweak the cfg manually and on increase the settings one by one and will post again.

Oh and forgot to mention this is an Eyefinity setup with two 20" fellows and the resolution is 3200x900.

Also downloaded the new shaders 3.2.2 , when at the runway I have the fps goto 70's (now my frame limit in FSX in unlimited) , I will try going in to the Air and check what I get but I think even without the tweaks FSX is looking good now. I am not using any Lens Flare / bloom. Aircraft shadows are ON.

Hmm not bad , the boost is around 5-9 fps . I have put Highmemfix , going to try Fibre frame and BP. Post later with all the details.

Try locking your frames internally to 30fps. and you might also add under the main section of your config DisablePreload=1. this will help with tearing . Not sure how it will work with amd card,but worth a try. You can always remove it. Make just one tweak at the time. be careful with FFTF and BP. Looks like your on the right track Good Luck and keep us posted.

I don't get tearing , and now I feel the sim is much smoother and the keeps the fps lowest to 20s but not for long probably a second or so and than shoots up to 25-29s. and frame has been limited to 30.

No stutters or any jerks looks good atm.