Sign in to follow this  
Computerhead2

Triple monitor and 660TI (3GB) startup - desparate for a solution

Background:

I have 3 identical Acer AL1916 (Older 4:3, 1280 x 1024) that are finicky about starting up. I know this because of the start up issues that i have overcome (since 2008) before when using them with my TH2GO digital and now my 660TI card. Each time I eventually got to a point where I could reliably start and use them. Thanks to Nvidia I no longer have to use the TH2GO which I was really happy to retire (along with my GT 460).

The monitors require a 57Hz custom resolution to start. Once I get the custom resolution dialed in - I have had this setup work and been really satisfied running in portrait mode w/ bezel adjustments to yield a 3189 x 1280 view. Using this in VC lets me see most of the instrument panel and a portion of the sky. I and am a private pilot (as of 2010) and use the setup extensively for training both for instruments (using Reality XP's 430W) and comms (w/ Pilot Edge.com) and now REX Essentials +OD. The primary plane I use is the Carenado 182Q.

I got the 660TI in October and was thrilled with the improvement to the autogen capability (really astounding difference here) and 10-20% improvement to FPS, over my GT460. I got the 3GB version because of the three monitor setup and figured that would be enough because my monitors are 4:3 and relatively low resolution as compared to what is available now. I would like to buy new monitors (3 identical) considering the Dell 2412, or the ASUS PA248Q - but can't afford them with kids in college. The processor is a I7-950, generally run stock. Sometime of OC using ASUS turbo tune to 3.8 Ghz, but not that often - system is stable using Prime95 at this level.

Problem: I attempted to fix a computer crash problem that occurred frequently enough - that it was beyond annoying. I thought it maybe related to a timing issue of using the display port adapter and the two (2) DVI ports that I use to drive the triple monitor setup. I read that the HDMI port is closer to the DVI (regarding signal technologies) so I used attempted to use that vs the display port w/adapter ..... This is why I am now so badly in need of HELP!

After trying this I am no longer able to sync the monitors to startup. Generally I can get no more than two to start, when I plug in a 3rd. the monitors don't start and I get a floating dialog box that states the monitors are out of input range.. If I reconfigure using a different combination of ports, I only get limited success - I have tried a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the custom install option - however the card seems smart enough to register the combination of monitors and modes that I have previously attempted.

Questions - 1) How do I clean the registry to erase the prior setups, 2). Is there a way to set resolutions in a startup file outside of windows, or in the safe mode? .... Any other ideas?

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

Which simulator? What OS? Are you running Nvidia Surround?

For what it is worth, I have a stable triple monitor system with i7 and 670GTX. I use the two DVI outputs and the Display Port (DP) but I use an active display port to DVi adaptor. Without this I believe that timing issues can occur.

Do your 4:3 monitors have DVI inputs? Or are you using DVI-VGA convertors? I am not sure how portrait mode would work in your set up. It might be the problem although I understand why you are using it.

You can set the startup resolutions using the Nvidia control panel.

A final thought: is there any possibility of overheating? Have you cleaned out your PC's filters recently? I ask because overheating can cause intermittent crashes - I've been caught that way myself more than once :blush:

Hopefully, others will be able to shed more light.

Supporter.png

John

Betelgeuse, thanks for the reply

Simulator is FSX Gold, Windows 7 Ultimate, I will run (and have) run Surround (not 3D). The monitors all have DVI inputs (no adapters are being used).

I air cool, and the fliters are clean, the processor does not get above 68C, I have a dual push/pull fan set up n the I7. The video cooler card is stock though.

I have attempted using the lowest 800 x 600 resolution at start up. However when I plug in more than two monitors, the pc does not sync up with the monitors and I only get the out of input range dialog box and all displays are useless.

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

I dont know about HDMI to DVI but I had to use an active adaptor for DP to DVI.

If you go to Desktop and right click - open screen resolution - what do you see?

Supporter.png

John

Copied from that screen ....

The two Acers's AL1916, at 1024x1280 (recommended), Portriat (flipped), Extend these displays

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

I cannot help you with that information. I am not an expert but I will try to sort you out - please help me to do so.

Do you see 3 screens along the top? Tell me exactly what you see there? Are there numbers in each screen? What shape are the screens? What colour?

John

Supporter.png

John

Here is a screen print (a picture is worth a thousand words): With the third monitor attached and the computer boots - I can hear a normal start up occur. I just cant see it when I have the 3rd monitor connected -I can't see any of the screens. The monitors all dark with an "out of signal range" box floating on the screen. If I could I see the windows desktop - I know how to set them up from there using the custom resolution control panel. The attached file shows the two.

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

All - I was able to work through this problem and FSX so far seems better.

Key steps

1) Through installations of the video card - I had installed the generic PnP drivers for my monitor(s). This was interfering in the Nvidia control panel becuase the technical requirements of resolution vs. sync rate was not consistant with what the monitors were capable of and preventing me from being able to get into surround. The update service found newer ones and so I went with those in for each of the monitors (3x). I did this by installing the update within "Device Mgr."

2). My sync problem was solved by using a lower resolution startup (640 x 480) offering via entering "Safe Mode". I noted that I was not clear in my problem description - because the monitors are only finicky at their highest resolution - at lower ones they sync nicely becuase they are not on the edge of the spec.

3). I also did a clean install using 310.70 from Nvidia - not sure that that was key - but so far it has not hurt and I am up to date with the driver.

Thanks to all that PM'd and helped.

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest