Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flying_bob

Terminal illness of GPU/other hardware Maybe ?

I have a stupid question.

How can I check if my GPU is busy departing the good life. let me explain why I think it is the GPU.

Up until the weekend I have the most awesome experience with absolute stutterless setup setting with my new system 3770k. Saterday even made some FSX videos and then saterday evening I switched it off (by the way no software/drivers installed last 2 weeks - NADA nothing)

Sunday morning I got up and it was chaos with frames jumping from 2 to 30 to 50 to 5 to 1.. I have never seen this. Initially I thought it looked like a RAM issue (I have 2 stick of corsair 2400's in the new machine). Tested that by swapping them out and trying one at a time. All things stayed disastrous. i have cloned backup of my system that I made from 2 weeks ago after the last installed software of the new build. I then decided to use the clone HD as I thought something happened with my OS/FSX/Drivers. The result was the same ill effect. So that mean I can can eliminate the HD, the OS and the FSX install itself because ven 2 weeks ago the system was as perfect as I could have wished for.

SO that means it must be my hardware with old GPU (still gtx480) and the rest is basically 3 weeks old.

new motherboard - Asus ROG maximus v formula (said in a whisper)

new RAM - corsair vengeange 2400

new processor - 3770k

new CPu cooling - H100 corsair

New PSU Corsair

so the only thing that came out of my old system was the GPU so I suspect that to be the culprit. I thought I will replace the GPU in 3 months time, but it seems it is going to be sooner then later.

My question.

Is there any software/test I can perform that can indicate if the GPU is faulty. Living in South africa, not in a city, I dont have access to another card to test my system with another card. Now it is also a bit silly driving one weekend to a city and spending money to buy another highend card just to check if the GPU is indeed the culprit. I dont have a problem buying a new card but then at least I must be sure that it is indeed the instigator of the problems.

System work ok for like surfing the net, but I just cannot play FSX. (only simulator/game I have installed on my machine)

Any ideas please let me know how I can determine what is going on. I am open for any suggestion as this is killing me.!

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

18%
    $4,525.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now