Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

Recreating my FSX install -- HELP!

As I've posted here before, I was pretty active here about five or six years ago, when my computer was still relatively up-to-date. Since then, it's become a dinosaur, and I found simming on it pretty limiting. I've since bought a gamer's notebook (that runs rings around my old desktop with a basic FSX install), and plan to build a new desktop system with even higher quality.

Now, my problem: back in the old days, I had a pretty nice FSX setup. Specifically, I was using the following scenery add-ons:

FS Genesis 2.0

Canada East

Canada West

Mexico

Asia

West

Eastern Rockies

Northeast

Plains

Southeast

West Coast

Western Rockies

Ultimate Terrain X

Canada

Europe

USA

Ground Environment X

USA - Canada

However, when I went back to collect my discs to install them on the laptop, I could only find the FSGenesis East and West Coast CDs, and nothing else. I don't know what happened to the other discs -- but last year, we had some significant damage when part of a tree fell on our house, and the insurance company cleanup crew simply tossed tons of junk that was severely water-damaged, so the rest of my discs might have been in that. Anyway, I have all the scenery on my current desktop's FSX install, but none of the install discs aside from the two I mentioned. So...

-- Is there any way of moving the scenery files from my current FSX directories to the laptop, and then integrating them with FSX there? Or am I going to give up and re-buy everything all over again? I'm really not too keen on double-purchasing add-ons for which I already paid quite a bit.

-- Or, especially if I do have to re-purchase, is the setup I described outdated? Are there newer and better products with which I'd be better off starting anew? I really haven't been up on FS for several years, and so haven't been keeping track of the latest in add-ons.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Is there any way of moving the scenery files from my current FSX directories to the laptop, and then integrating them with FSX there? Or am I going to give up and re-buy everything all over again? I'm really not too keen on double-purchasing add-ons for which I already paid quite a bit.

Sorry to hear about your loss. The only way you'll be able to find out is by trying. I'm pretty sure you'll need to reinstall UTX and provide a key. If you bought UTX from Flight One, you can download the software again and reinstall it. Flight One has a system to recover your key on their site.

Or, especially if I do have to re-purchase, is the setup I described outdated? Are there newer and better products with which I'd be better off starting anew? I really haven't been up on FS for several years, and so haven't been keeping track of the latest in add-ons.

FS Genesis has some nice products. I think the MegaScenery Earth V2 products are better though. I also like Orbx/FTX Pacific NW and all of their products too. They provide much more detail IMHO.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10