Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Need Help Choosing Airliner....

I am looking to purchase an airliner. I have been told by many of you that PMDG is the way to go. I am having trouble choosing one. The 737 800/900 is $27.95 and the 737NG 600/700 is $39.95. I don't mind paying the extra for the 737NG, but I was hoping to hear from owners of these airliners as to which one is better. I can't really figure out why the NG is more expensive. Any input as to which one is better is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Costas

Guest GabrielR

Costas,The PMDG is the way to go for an Airliner, there is no doubt about it.First you have to purchase the 737-600, 700 at a cost, if I am not wrong of $39.95, You will get a complete bird with everything ready to go. If you want the "Upgrade package" you pay 27.95 and get the 737-800, 900, this is indeed another addon, if you get it, you are entitled to download some "special bonus" packet that gives you new features for your first purchase, the 600, 700.You can not get the 800-900 without having first the 600-700You will no be disapointed, 737NG does eat some FPS in lower end systems, but I assure you that you will be happy with the purchase.My advice is: Go to PMDG forum here and to their website. Get the 600-700, learn it fly it, it will give you a lot for several months, and if you want, later, upgrade the package to the 800-900.That's what I did and I am absolutly happy.

Gabriel, Thanks for the quick reply and explanation. I have one other question. Are the buttons and switches on the overhead and front panel clickable, and do you think the framerates would be ok based on my system?Thanks again,Costas

If you care about framerates I'd look to purchasing both PMDG products as the latest product gives you a framerate friendlier model for both models. But with your powerful system you shouldn't have to worry too much, unless you fly in the virtual cockpit

Guest deKoven

"...and do you think the framerates would be ok based on my system?Thanks again,CostasPentium

Guest GabrielR

I always fly in the VC, the front panel is all clickable, in the 600-700 the Overhead panel is not, you have also some wonderful complementary panels as well. The 800-900 Makes the Overhead clickable in all models and improves the 3d model to make it more friendly.You have a powerful system, the only difference between yours and mine is the Video card I have a Gforce 5950 @256, in my system, the initial purchase, the 600-700 performed with fps on the low 20s with 100% Ultimate Traffic, 1600X1200, AF4x, AA4x, All sliders to the right, except Autogen (dense)the 800-900 model with the clickable overhead panel gives me average 3 or 4 fps more.So all in all you get the 600-700 with several models (VC, 2D panel only and Virtual cabin - you will need Active camera to walk on the cabin) As I told you, go to their website and here to the forum, let it grow on you, the learning curve is a litlle steep, but there are great tutorials here in the library, just look for PMDG - get them, so you can see if the depth of the simulation is right for your taste, these airplanes have so many buttons and diferent systems that I don't even try to count them.If it appeals to your taste, get it, the 600-700, once you fly it, I know, You will want to upgrade to the 800-900, sales strategy or not, their back up is the quality, and for the money is the best add on ever produced for FS IMHO.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I went ahead and purchased it last night. Talk about a steep learning curve, yikes. :-eek Actually, I really enjoy realistic simulators. I love going through all the checklists and clicking on buttons, etc. It gives you that "airline captain" feeling. Yeah, I will probably get the upgrade sooner than later. I will just have to make sure my wife isn't around when I do it. :-hahThanks again,Costas

Hi Costas,Don't worry, if you practice enough to get really good at flying the NG, your wife won't be around when it's upgrade time ;-)Happy flying!

Guest cw1011

If you shoot me your e-mail, I'll send you the PDF of the fabulous tutorial flight put together by a die hard PMDG fan and 737 enthusiast. It will help you get over the learning curve. He pulled the tutorial off AVSIM because he was worried that the approach charts were copywrited - I will send you the actual body of the totorial without the charts. It will help you learn how to get the plane started up and flying. My email is cwr737@yahoo.com.Colin