Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Irritating scenery.cfg behaviour

I apologize if this has been asked before, but my 'google fu' hadn't found anything up regarding this. But I should really be asleep atm, so I easily might of missed something.

In the last few days, I've been doing a major re-arrangement of my addon scenery folder. I guess I'm particular (not the word my wife uses!) when it comes to organization. Anyways, since I was so neatly organizing everything, I thought it'd be great if my scenery.cfg file was nicely organized as well. And not wanting to click the up/down buttons in the fs9 panel a million times, I downloaded and started to use the great FS Scenery Manager from the library.

But I've noticed that almost randomly, when I add or change something with that program, my changes are erased when fs9 is started. Which is starting to irk me slightly! Can anyone please tell me why this happens? FS Scenery Manager appears to modify the scenery.cfg found in the fs9 folder, but does fs9 overwrite that version using a copy from somewhere else? Is there another copy that I should be changing / copying over?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

After making your edits with FS Scenery Manager and before you start the sim, move oldscenery.cfg out of the FS9 folder. Do not delete it, just in case.

After making your edits, start the sim, let it settle and shut it down.

I don't support the idea of using external scenery managers, but to each his own.

BTW, if you want to move some thing in the Scenery Library a long ways you only have to click on the up/down button once, then you can hold down the u/d key on your keyboard and watch the entry fly.

Before making changes to the scenery.cfg with FS Scenery Manager make sure you back up the scenery.cfg, just in case it goes fubar.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

After making your edits with FS Scenery Manager and before you start the sim, move oldscenery.cfg out of the FS9 folder. Do not delete it, just in case.

I knew there was something I was missing! Thank you so much for that tip. I really appreciate it, as the behavior is was experiencing was driving me crazy in it's inconsistency.

BTW, if you want to move some thing in the Scenery Library a long ways you only have to click on the up/down button once, then you can hold down the u/d key on your keyboard and watch the entry fly.

Thanks for this tip as well, I (obviously) didn't know you could do that!

Being a rather paranoid sort in regards to programs messing up files, I'm already maintaining backups of various config files, the scenery.cfg file being one of them. One of my reasons for wanting to use an external manager was the ability to add 10 - 20 airports at a time, rather than individually. Saves time!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.