Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Adding missing roads to scenery

Hi guys,

Having decided to take a look at making scerery for X plane 10, just to flesh out the odd airport, I'm finding that it's kind of addictive. So a little glance has resulted in me starting a project to fill out all the airports in Japan.

I'm having a problem though with two airfields that lack the local road detail found in mainland Japan. So the question is, how doi add roads to areas devoid of osm data. I have thought of using WED's taxiway editor to create the road surface, but to isn't idea. So any ideas would be appriciated.

Best wishes,

Jess B

The XPX scenery structure is still a learning process for me, but I'd guess a try with Overlay Editor, though I don't know if it allows this or not. I'm fearful that it might mean going down to Mesh Tool and making a whole new DSF file. But I am still in the learning process and sometimes it can be difficult to find any guidance.

Roads are generally presented as a Shapefile (.SHP), which is the format that Mesh Tool likes for it's GIS data. Roads would just be vector lines processed through. But I've not found any guidance as to whether roads can be added into a DSF file or if the DSF file must be remade to accept any of the new SHP information.

Not knowing the mechanics of XPX, but I would imagine that roads begat traffic upon the roads, so any attempt other than through Mesh Tool might just end up with a lot of lonely highways?