Hi guy's, just a quick question, my screen res is 120HZ, should I half that and set the frame rate locked at 60fps or still go for the 30fps? Thanks in advance.

Cheers Rod.

On my 120Hz monitor I still lock the frames to 30fps regardless, but it's a matter of personal preference how many fps you like, some still use the unlimited with no ill effects, but have never seen the need to go that high on my rig.

Thanks for the input just having a play with some settings but even locked at 60fps it doesn't seem to much over 30fps anyway.

60 FPS is quite a bit smoother than 30 FPS, without any microstutters. VSync (1/4 refresh rate in your case) + 30 FPS will still be better because of the high smoothness. VSync + 60 FPS will only be smoother if you can always achieve 60+ FPS. Otherwise not.

Thanks Arjen I will give it a try as I do get some micro stutters at times will try 1/4 refresh rate in inspector with locked at 30fps and 60 at 1/2 refresh rate, thanks for the input.

Cheers Rod.

60 FPS is quite a bit smoother than 30 FPS, without any microstutters. VSync (1/4 refresh rate in your case) + 30 FPS will still be better because of the high smoothness. VSync + 60 FPS will only be smoother if you can always achieve 60+ FPS. Otherwise not.

+1 I have said for ages that nothing is smoother than 60FPS on 60Hz but there will always be those who insist you don't need more than 24 or 30FPS.... 30 FPS looks good, but 60FPS is fluid...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

+1 I have said for ages that nothing is smoother than 60FPS on 60Hz but there will always be those who insist you don't need more than 24 or 30FPS.... 30 FPS looks good, but 60FPS is fluid...

Yeah, some people always say the human eye can only detect 35 FPS, but this is I TRIED TO USE A PROFANITY HERE - AREN'T I STUPID!. The difference between a lag free 30 FPS and a lag free 60 FPS is quite noticeable. If you taxi at 5 kts, no then not, but now try going 800 kts in an F16 with 30 FPS, it will look like a slideshow. I'm currently satisfied with VSync + 30 FPS, but 60 FPS is definitely better. Only above that, you're not going to see that much of a difference. But even 120 Hz is slightly noticeable over 60 Hz...

Thanks Arjen I will give it a try as I do get some micro stutters at times will try 1/4 refresh rate in inspector with locked at 30fps and 60 at 1/2 refresh rate, thanks for the input.

Cheers Rod.

Cool! This tweak comes from Word Not Allowed and it's the best since Bojotes tweaking tool. If it doesn't immediately work out for you just come back here because you must have set something wrong. It will be worth it, I promise! Just remember that you DO NOT use an external limiter like Antilag, FPS Limiter V0.2 or NVIDIA Inspector's FPS limiter, or it will not work. You will have to limit your framerate inside FSX itself. You have to make sure that this framerate limiter matches up with your VSync setting. So for example in your case if you set VSync to 1/4 refresh rate you need to limit to 30 FPS inside FSX, and if you set it to 1/2 you have to limit to 60 FPS. Please note that the tweak ONLY works when you can achieve the desired framerate. If you can, you'll have a 100% microstutter free experience. I recommend setting 30 FPS + VSync because constantly maintaining 60 FPS in add-on planes + add-on scenery is not really a realistic goal.

I am aware the the FSX's internal limiter causes a framerate drop, which makes achieving 30 FPS a bit harder, but therefore try reducing the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION setting in your fsx.CFG to something like 0.15.

Thanks Arjen, I'm using 1/4 refresh and locked at 30fps in FSX and I do have FFTF set at 0.15 already so I guess that's the best I can do but I must admit I am having some graphic's card driver issue's at the moment which is not helping so at the moment trying to also sort the best driver for my GTX560M 3gig dedicated card, I do appreciate your input.THANKS.

Cheers Rod.

Well Arjen after dramatic driver issues that I'm finally over and back to the old trusty 285 driver (for me anyway) I've tried a few combinations regarding 120HZ and frame rates and can report that locked at 60FPS in fsx and 1/2 refresh rate in NI gave me a constant 55FPS (didn't think that would happen) but in VC mode (NGX trial aircraft) it dropped to a constant 25FPS, tried locking 40FPS inside fsx and a refresh rate of 1/3 inside NI and behold I have a constant 40FPS in spot view and nothing less than 30FPS in VC mode, very smooth and very happy no more external frame limiters for me this works great.

Cheers Rod.