Sign in to follow this  
brucek

MD11 and Windows 8?

I have FSX Gold installed in Windows 8 64 bit, and is working well most of the time. I have used the MD11 in this instance of FSX before, but am finding tonight that I get a CTD whenever I try to load the MD11- whether into a new flight (have also tried loading the Trike first), as well as loading previous saved flights with the MD11. I have also restarted and "cold booted" the PC. The PMDG NGX appears to continue to work well.

Are there any known issues with the MD11 and Windows 8? I am not a big user of the MD11, but more curious than anything as to why it's doing the CTD thing. No new add-ons or programs added recently other than the FS2Crew for the NGX and the companion FS2Crew NGX-failures add-on. I also have the UIAutomationCore.dll fix and my fsx.cfg edited with the fixes in the fsx guide published here at AVSIM. AppCrashView reports the fault module as PMDG_MD11_ACS.DLL.

Thanks for any answers or info. Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

*DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT A COMPUTER GUY*

I had a lot of issues before with FSX on Win 8, but found a rather obvious workaround that has let me use FS Passengers, FSX, and PMDG aircraft at the same time (a fatal concoction in the past). I reset my PC completely (that means reinstalling Win 8 from scratch and removing all my files). I had an unrelated computer issue that was just easier to solve this way.

When it came time to install FSX and all my addons, I ensured that I ran all the installers in Administrator mode and compatibility mode set for Windows 7

Now they all jive like a charm!

Thanks- I had always thought that the "Run in Administrator Mode" and "Compatibility Mode set for Windows 7" were applied to the executable file after installation by right clicking, but I later figured out that they are install options. One day I will reinstall FSX, sometime when I have the time, my current install is rather recent so not too much stuff added that I have bought in the past but now never use :)

Thanks for the advice.... Bruce.

I am using the MD-11 and also FSX within Windows 8 Pro and have no problems so far. FSX doesn't run in admin mode, but I installed them to a different drive (Because I have a SSD on C for Windows and my Apps from Steam+Origin; FSX is much too big).

I am using the MD-11 and also FSX within Windows 8 Pro and have no problems so far. FSX doesn't run in admin mode, but I installed them to a different drive (Because I have a SSD on C for Windows and my Apps from Steam+Origin; FSX is much too big).

Thanks-  after I re-installed the MD11 all appears to work OK....

Bruce.