Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

UT night lighting question

Hi folks,

Is there a way to increase the radius of UT night lighting around your aircraft?  I finally tried it out last night using the MD-11 from KLAX to KLAS.  Very impressive, especially when I was doing my final in to KLAS.

Would be nice to have more lights in the distance when flying higher up.

I think the answer is no, assuming you have set autogen to "very dense", because the UT lights are actually autogen objects and so they are controlled by the autogen visibility range like all other autogen...

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.  I have my autogen slider maxed out.  Is there a way to increase the autogen visibility range?  I think you can do that with fsx but not sure about fs9.

Thanks Geoff.  I have my autogen slider maxed out.  Is there a way to increase the autogen visibility range?  I think you can do that with fsx but not sure about fs9.

I don't think there is any way to do it... I'll keep an eye on this thread though in case somebody has a method to do it - I'd certainly be interested in increasing my autoger range as well!

Actually, going back to the original point, I stopped using the UT lights layer some time ago because of the daytime problem of lack of autogen houses / trees etc. Since there is a hard-coded maximum for the number of autogen per cell in FS9, the presence of the UT lights, even in daylight when they are not visible, removes a significant proportion of the buildings you would normally see. I find the overall effect of using better night ground textures to be the better compromise in my FS9 setup. (I'm using a custom set that I made in the texture editor or GEPro - something in between the pale yellow and the orange ones it comes with, and then slightly tweaked for contrast.)

Geoff

I agree.  If I'm doing a flight at dawn before the lights turn off, I disable night lighting because of the autogen issue you mentioned.

But for dusk and night time flying, I'm hooked on the lights, especially the last few minutes before touch down.

I also have GEPro.  At first I picked the more red colors but it blended in with the UT night lights and made them harder to see.  I've gone back to default colors because it gives a good contrast with the UT lights.

GEP is such a great program.  So many ways to customize the environment and it's global.