Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

SSD and HDD Need Help on how to access previously installed software. Thanks!

So I recently installed a nice new Samsung 840 SSD. I have it set up as first boot in BIOS as it is much faster of course, and I also have FSX Acceleration on this drive as well. On a budget I only have 120 gig to work with so I wish to keep ONLY FSX on the SSD.

So.

I have a couple of issues running my programs from the HDD. The programs I want to run are FS Panels, Radar Contact, Active Sky and FS Build.

Here is my problem. I installed FSX and all my third party add ons and the above programs using NickNs guides which as most know are a very good way to set up a stable platform for FSX etc. All is well.

BUT

I also want to run Eaglesoft CJ1+. Here is where it gets interesting. CJ1+ does not like AT ALL and will not run well with an install as I had it with the old install on the HDD as c:\Flight Simulator X. So to remedy this I finally had to give in and RE-Install FSX in the default manner. Eaglesoft informed me that their software must be installed into a DEFAULT install setup for their aircraft to work as that is part of their anti piracy scheme. WORKS! LOL Electrical issues up the ying on an on.

To get CJ1+ to finally work after hours of pulling out my already disapearing hair, I finally gave into the default FSX install.

YAY. CJ1+ works as it should BUT the above mentioned programs are all confused now because they are pointing to the wrong install locations.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do I have to re-install them all? If yes then sucks to be me. LOL They should be able to still be installed on the HDD and run with my current config no? That was the game plan. To use the existing HDD now for storage.

2. If not does anyone have any ideas on how I can procede to get them to run from the HDD where they are currently located (now on drive F:) without re-installing them?

Thought Id ask everyone here as there are a lot of folks much smarter than I am. :)

Thanks guys!

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi Jet,

Umm FSX is a difficult enough program now without making it use re-directs to find programs. Have you posted in the Eaglesoft forum to ask them about installation?

Regards 

Geoff Bryce

Hi Geoff,

Yes I did ask them. I tried very hard to use Eaglesoft products with my C: install to no avail. So I finally gave in and did the default re-install. No that I am using an SSD, all went very fast by HDD standards and of course it fixed my Eaglesoft issues.

I got to thinking too that Active Sky may fuction better on the SSD too. I checked the size of the total install (on the HDD) and saw it was only 5GB. I still have 62GB free so I opted to install AS2012 on the SDD as well. I tried it out since this last post and wow what a difference in building themes. Radar Contact and the rest of the programs however I think will stay over on the HDD as most of them do not need to be on the SSD or they will not benefit by being there.

Respectfully,

Jet

For RADAR CONTACT I was given this.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404034-fsx-re-install-to-new-directory/

Looks good and all but I am going ahead and re-installing it to work with my new set up and removing the old.  JD from Radar Contact said that it may be a lot easier and less hassel to go ahead and re-install.  I also wanted this to reside on the outer parts of the HDD so when all is said and done I'm going to do a O&O Name COMPLETE defrag which will move all the files to RCv4 to the end or outer part of the HDD.

Respectfully,

Jet

Looks good and all but I am going ahead and re-installing it to work with my new set up and removing the old

Hi Jet,

Agree with re install. All a bit painful at the time. BUT, you know you have given the program the best chance of running as smooth as possible when you remove and replace where it should be.

I have just had similar issues with a rebuild of my main drive. I find FSX very hard on systems..it seems to have a life of its own. To that end, I have FSX on its own machine, and my normal working activities are on a separate machine. 

Good idea to put all the file intensive activities on the same drive as FSX and of course your Eaglesoft CJ1 a/c.

​My next rebuild will incorporate a SSD, as these seem to be the way to go. Hope it all works ok for you.

Regards

Geoff Bryce

Hi Jet,

Agree with re install. All a bit painful at the time. BUT, you know you have given the program the best chance of running as smooth as possible when you remove and replace where it should be.

I have just had similar issues with a rebuild of my main drive. I find FSX very hard on systems..it seems to have a life of its own. To that end, I have FSX on its own machine, and my normal working activities are on a separate machine. 

Good idea to put all the file intensive activities on the same drive as FSX and of course your Eaglesoft CJ1 a/c.

​My next rebuild will incorporate a SSD, as these seem to be the way to go. Hope it all works ok for you.

Regards

Wow have I learned a lot too.

The debate going on about whether there is need to go AHCI is solved for me.  I didn't want to because I really do not like to mess with the registry unless it's with some kind of registry programme.  That said, there is an awesome tutorial on just how to change the registry to post load the drivers and make ACHI available A F T E R you had installed Windows and other material/programs.

I noticed about a 20% increase in speed and my time from startup to throwing switches in the cockpit is seriously fast, compared to the old HDD method. 

Power on, to desktop, load Active Sky 2012, FSX, Radar Contact to sitting in the Virt Cockpit is Just over 3 minutes.

Another benefit to the SSD now is NO DEFRAGGING!!  Period.  Love it.  I have to now learn about T R I M I guess.  I know nothing at this time.

Other items I learned.

Reboot is king.  Letting it rest 2 minutes after reboot is even better.

I found an awesome driver that has kept FSX from crashing.  My kid was flying his Carenado C-210 for 5 hours without so much as a stutter!!!  The driver is UIautomationcore.dll.  IT MUST BE THE DRIVER FOR VISTA!!  And you drop this driver into the main folder of FSX and forget about it.  ????  LOL  It works though

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/273341-heres-the-apparent-fix-to-fsx-crashing-win-7-x64/

I actually have my Frames in game locked at 40 and with NVIDIA Instpector I have them locked at 45  That combo has really given me a smoooooth flight.  I also have my NVIDIA controls set per the PMDG post here on AVSIM telling how to set that up.  Works great.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

Finally I learned a couple of tricks wrestling with the finicky Eaglesoft CJ1+, while overclocking.

If you simply do your overclock step ups CJ1 will not work at all with the change.  You have to reload everytime you do a new step.  OR do your step ups and then reload.  That is one finicky finicky add on.  If you make a change to the Aircraft.cfg, you have to reload, make the change, reboot, THEN and only then can you run FSX with the CJ1.  Whew took me forever to finally figure it out.  If you load that aircraft in anything other than a default install setup it wont run.  At least in my case.  If anyone else knows how to do that and have it run stable I'd love to hear how.

So I have the Phenom OC right at 4.0ghz  stable and FSX according to OCCT, FSX only uses on average 60% CPU.  I am at 18.5 Multiplier and 217 on the BUS setting (in BIOS) and all is well so far.  Not bad for a standard clock of 3.4 for the Phenom (AMD Phenom II Black 965). 

Respectfully,

Jet