Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Ancient Brit

UK celebrates 150 year anniiversary flight of heavier t...

Today, Saturday the 5th of July is the 150th anniversary of the first manned flight by a fixed wing, heavier than air machine. Yes you read that correctly, the 150th anniversary. You are probably thinking it was the Wright Brothers who made the first manned flight with a heavier that air machine but they had been beaten to it by over 50 years by Sir George Cayley whose flying machine took off from Brompton Dale, near Scarborough, UK, in 1853 and with his coachman acting as pilot, flew a distance of over 153 yards before crash landing. After that experience the coachman, John Appleby, handed in his notice unaware of course he had anticipated the Wright Brothers flight by 50 years.To the Wright Brothers must go the credit for the first flight with a powered fixed wing heavier than air machine since Sir George Cayley

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

wow, I did not know that.From a US citizen, congratulations and may your country have many more first :-)

Thanks for that Mike. I have heard tell there were three Wright brothers, one is still in the stack at JFK, but I can