Sign in to follow this  
Guest psouthan

What I am doing wrong..out of memory with 2GB?

Guest psouthan

I just lined up on RWY 24 at Manchester and I got an error saying FS9 had run out of memomory? OK fair enough but... I have:a Pentium 4 processor, FX-gerforce 256MB FX590 video card and 2GB of Ram and 520 GB HD with 4 x4 20GB partioned drives. I feel fed up because does it never ends, paying out money for what? chrashes?I did do something this morning to my systen I followed a lot of the Tweaks in this forum. In particular I performed a folder compressionon my FS9 folder as suggested on this page http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.phpaz=show...id=25&mode=fullI also download Clever Cache as suggested. I seem to be going round in circles trying to just have one flight with out a hiccup.Can anyone kibdly help please.Paul

Guest danowat

Paul,This can be related to the memory leak associated with a "bad" installation of some landclass.May I suggest you search your FS folder for files LC*.BGL and see if any of those files are in a scenery folder that also has a texture folder.LC files should ONLY be placed in a scenery folder that has NO texture folder, otherwise a large memory leak will occurDan.

Guest psouthan

Thank You Dan, I will try what you suggested.Paul

Guest psouthan

Dan,I am not sure if I understand you correctly on this. Are you saying that if I have a folder, say for example, a folder named KLAX, containing scenery for that airport, and within that folder I have the usual sub flolders of scenery and texture, I should delete the texture folder if it is empty? My understanding is that you require both texture and scenery folders to install add-on scenery. Sorry-a novice at this!Paul

Guest danowat

Paul,What I do is have a seperate folder specifically for landclass.So normally you would have.Addon Scenery/KLAX (or whatever)/Scenery and texture folders.But for the landclass folder you should haveAddon Scenery/Landclass/Scenery folder ONLYSometimes addon sceneries mistakenly put a landclass file in the scenery folder which is bad, and can cause big memory leaks."normally" all landclass files begin with the suffix "LC", or have "landclass" somewhere in the file.Dan.

Hi,what does this lclookup.bgl file do?I made a search for LC*.bgl and moved all found files over to my FS9/scenery/Landclass folder. Now FS9 doesnt start anymore and tells me that it cannot open the FS9/Scenery folder.

Guest danowat

Basically, all you are doing is searching for landclass bgl's.If any landclass bgl's are in scenery folders that have texture folders it CAN cause a memory leak.You moved these files to FS9/scenery/landclass?, the landclass folder needs to have a scenery folder, so it should be FS9/scenery/landclass/scenery.You also need to make sure that this new scenery folder is activated in the scenery library in FS.This is only something you should do if you are having specific memory leak problems thoughDan.

Dan,well, I solved my problem. I renamed FS9, installed FS9 in same partition and looked what wich files were at a wrong location in the renamed FS9. Now after I corrected my problem, I renamed the FS9 directory AND as well the backuped hidden FS9 at my System directory.Somehow the reinstall screwed up so my ActiveCamera2004 wanna have the registry key again. Now I wonder what addons else gonna sit in my face when I wanna fly? Will all of my installed Dreamfleet aircrafts need attention again? FSD? CaptainSim? SSW? I did not changed the hardware in any way, just had to fake reinstall FS9... Didnt chance BIOS or WinXP system settings, but the FS9 registry was altered.Well, I located all of my landclass bgl's and moved them. My Scenery/landclass/Scenery folder is within the Scenery.cfg alright.Well, I had some scenery within USA I got as freeware out of flightsim.com They produced some memory leaking as well as my Alaska scenery I downloaded and installed out of FlightSim.com All of these I deactivated... wush, I got back my framerates realy high. They realy produced memory leaking and drop of framrates.

Hi there Often an Out of Memory error occurs due to a lack of page file space. Check that you have decent size page (If you are unsure of a suitable size "Let Windows manage my virtual memory") and also that the disk drive that has the page file on it is not full (or very close). Even if FS is installed on a drive with heaps of space, if the OS / Pagefile are on a drive with limited space you`ll have problems.Good luckRottenlungs

Guest danowat

With 2GB of RAM you should not need a to access the page file, in fact, you should not need a page file at all.The only time FS should access the page file with this amount of RAM is if you have a memory leak.FS, with complex addons, should not really exceed 600mb of RAM usage.Dan.

With the PMDG, easily goes over 800mb and with 1gig of RAM, you definitely need a pagefile with some mesh terrain addon, some textures and PMDG 737.

Word Not Allowed and Dan,same problem here... I run 1GB 2700 DDR RAM, have about all you can buy online and offline for FS9 and all is installed, lots of AI from UT and GA-Traffic with slider at 98%... But my pagefile goes WAY over 1GB SWAP MEM useage! Goes up to 1,6GB and more and at the end WinXP tells me to shut down FS9, because of too much memory use.Could it be that my HDDs partitions are too filled up?Have a look:http://www.t-a-h.com/t_a_h.gifBut I aint got the money to buy me a new bigger HDD... one partition realy makes me mad. Seems it has broken sectors and I even cannot defrag it using diskeeper pro for WinXP pro. After a while my PC freeze up and I can reset it using the reset button.I have a DVD+R burner. But I have not the space and room to store about more than another 100DVD backups!Any ideas???

Guest danowat

Its interesting you say that, cause with all the above I never see much more usage from FS9.exe than 600-700mb.In fact, I have 1GB of RAM and never "bust" into the page file.It did once, but this was due to me installing a landclass file into addon scenery/scenery, which of course has an associated texture folder, and created a memory leak.TAH.....Why so many partitions?, also, how do you have virtual memory set up in XP?Sounds like you have got some pretty nasty problems if you cant even defragDan.

Dan,I can defrag all but the partition "G". When I analyse this one with diskeeper, it is splattered with red areas, so fragmented files all over the place. diskeeper tries to do it's work, but will fail after about an hour.All other partitions are ok, but they are huge, arent they? I have quite some HDD space... Well, why so many partitions? Not more than about 3 to 5 per physical harddrive. I do more than just fly with FS9 around. I am a PC-Technican and a MultiMedia-Producer. I digitalise analoge videos, cut and trim videos, do websites, graphics, whatever. So I need to separate all my different works and tasks because of savety and security reasons if I need to reinstall XP or have a virus or if a HDD brakes apart and fails... But now I run out of HDD space to make backup partition images with "ghost" or make one if a customer needs me to do so with a HDD from him/her.I know some about computers... I guess my WinXP partition (D:) is too small, I need to resize it, so that my SWAP PAGE FILE can be better managed by XP... And the one HDD with teh faulty partition needs to get replaced I guess. But these days I have not enough paying customers to have the money to buy a new harddrive.

Guest psouthan

I am getting frame rates of 80+ with full sliders loaded and running Activesky and the PMDG 737s. Can i expect more from the following system?I have been out today and up-graded my system. I know have an ATI X800XT Video card, A new more powerful power supply, a Pentium 4 running at 4GHz and 2 GB of Cosair Ram and 520GB Hard. I also a SM Stacker Cooler Master case. I am about to take a flight! i will let you know how it goes..hopefully like stink for what I paid....$1000sThank you for all your commentsPaul