Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Flying in "The Twilight Zone"

Ahh, a typical day in the cockpit of a Boeing 707, circa 1961. I was watching one of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes, "The Odyssey of Flight 33," about a jet that gets catapulted back in time, and I couldn't help but laugh at some of the situations. Not to mention control wheels that looked as if they came out of a B-17.

Here's a screenshot of the first one that hit me. They were at cruise altitude and the captain had kicked back and lighted up.

The "stewardesses" of course all had hot dates to get to in New York, and the crew kept referring to them as "the girls." "Tell the girls to stap everyone in" and "Tell the girls to get everyone calmed down." So funny and soooo dated.

Anyway, if you try to treat the "flight attendants" that way today, you'd get a one-way ticket to .....

The Twilight Zone.

That's great, interesting social statements....you can see that sort of thing in lots of old movies and shows....I have always found it interesting that for PC reasons you can't call males "boys" and females "girls" when they get older than I don't know what.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/girl

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Boys

I know some folks who call boys/girls/men and women universally..." hey guys".

Really who cares, we seem to make such a big deal about nothing sometimes.

I once got heck from calling the women in a group in my place of work " good morning ladies"...I mean give me a break...so thereafter...I always addressed (in addition to their names) two or more women as "the ladies" just to make my point....

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3