Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geedub

Reconfiguring with Intel RST, 2xSSD, 2xHDD. Expert help please.

Dear All,

I am looking for some expert guidance please. All and any expert suggestions appreciated. I have an i2700k /ASUS P8Z68/8GB RAM/GTX570 setup running well at 4.5GHz. Win7 sits on a 1Tb HDD single partition. I I set up the Intel RST on a Vertex 4 64 Gb SSD which ran brilliantly for some months then my system crashed, evidently due to an RST driver conflict. I managed to recover the system, reverting to AHCI in the BIOS.

I then decided to install my Pepar3D flightsim programme to the 64Gb Vertex 4 to compare performance with the HDD, basically loading times. I was impressed enough to purchase a larger SSD for P3D (only.)

My goals now are to (1) re-install P3D on the bigger SSD  (2) re-install Win7 using RST using the Vertex once again as the cache drive.

Here's where I am finding a few challenges.  Ideally I would like to keep my present Win7 installation intact so I can maintain productivity via dual boot. Question - can I shrink the partition and install a second copy of Win 7 to a new partition on the same 1Tb HDD?  Will it allow dual-booting without complications? I would eventually delete the original Win 7 installation once all my programmes are re-loaded to the new install.  

Can I image my existing  P3D installation and copy it to the new SSD? Or should I reinstall all the complex elements (scenery, texture, aircraft etc.) Please do not see this as a post about software. I am more concerned with the juggling of the hardware. Even so please re-direct me as you see fit.

Finally is Intel SRT happy to talk to other SSDs - does this interfere with the caching? 

Regards

Gareth 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!