Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikitos_567

FS Sound Settings

In my Windows 7 Sound Options, there are a couple of options: I can choose either 16bit or 24 bit audio and CD quality and DVD quality audio. Which one should I choose. I expremenited with 16 bit CD quality vs 16 bit DVD quality, and i might be mistaken but it seems like when I select 16 bit CD Quality, the Flight sim runs smoother.

I don't think there would be a difference with FS9.  However, if the 24 bit selection does "up sampling", you should hear a slight improvement depending on the sound quality from FS9, your add ons, and your audio system.  I've never looked into the Win7 sound options but I don't think it does up sampling.

Reason you won't hear a difference is because the sound on FS9 is 16-bit.  The 24-bit selection in Win7 will process it as 16-bit.  24-bit usually means, it can process 24-bit signals if you feed it a 24-bit content.  FS9 comes on CD which can only have a maximum of 16-bit.  It's just like your LCD, LED, Plasma displays.  They're 1080p native resolution, but if the content is 720p, you'll get 720p and not 1080p.

If you're getting a smoother experience with the 16-bit selection, probably better to keep using it.  I'm guessing the 16-bit and 24-bit are separate applications in Win7 and the 16-bit application uses less processing.

btw, I'm also running Win7.  Where did you find the selection?  I've set up my audio, but I've never seen this option.  I want to make sure mine is set to 16.