Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Can somebody explain mixture?

Thank you all for the help! Time to go flying the proper way

Hi Mike,Are you still in CO? I fly out of Jeffco, and often do practice approaches to KFNL (no need to be worried by ATC as at Jeffco). I was taught the exact same way as you were regarding leaning the mixture, and also got the same lesson as you did about how sluggish the a/c is when using full rich mixture. (Also got the lesson about how sluggish the a/c is with carb heat on). They say that pilots learn from bad situations (hopefully not too bad!). I will always recall have balked a landing (porpoising) in an old N model 172 on a hot summer day here in CO (density alt was much higher than true alt). I left the carb heat on and flaps out at 40 degrees in my panic at having done the porpoise thing, found the a/c mushing in ground effect and then slowly noted this squeeling sound of the stall horn. That was shortly after soloing, and while I now do very rare porpoises :) and are less stressed on balked landings, I will never ever forget that moment! Seems rather stupid now years and many hours later, but it's burnt into the memory banks now.Bruce.