Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinlest2

Running Windows Aero (Win7) and FSX together

I have been trying to fix scenery problems when running FSX using two monitors and an important question has cropped up, so that I would like to address this question as a separate thread.

I can't use Full Screen mode in FSX as this blacks out the 2nd monitor, on which I like to follow my route using Plan-G: I use FS-SIMtimizer to give the illusion of FSX running Full Screen. This means that in reality though, even though it doesn't appear so, I run FSX in Windowed Mode. This causes scenery, especially sky and clouds, but terrain too, to 'ripple' as you pan in Spot View due to Vertical Sync issues

Part of the solution involves restarting Aero after FSX has started up:

" ... after FSX has been started, an Aero restart is required, which in return fixes the normal Vsync operation in windowed mode."

This seems to work: I don't get the odd 'flag-in-the-wind' rippling of the scenery now as I pan around. But this means that FSX is running with Aero active. I am told that this produces no problems at all, but I am not so sure. Why would Microsoft have it that Aero is turned off automatically when you start FSX if there weren't some problem? I read on other forums that Aero and FSX just don't work 'happily' together, but I haven't seen any details as to the effects. Can anyone say what problems this might cause? Is it simply a question of resources? I found that when I pressed Alt+Enter to get out of the 'false', FS-SIMtimizer Full Screen Mode, my aircraft disappeared - I heard the engine but the plane was no longer drawn in FSX. Possibly a consequence of Aero running with FSX?

If anyone can give me some more information on this, that'd be great. The other thread I refer to is here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/410598-fsx-on-2-screens-anyone-help-please/

and also here (under 'VSYNC TWEAK – WINDOWED MODE'):

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

Thanks,

Martin