Sign in to follow this  
smitty

Dual Core2 @ 3.6 GHZ or Ivy Bridge i7 @ 2.8GHZ

hi

I need to run FSX with NGX and REX add ons on a laptop

There is a lot of debate of whether FSX runs better on pure CPU power or the benefit of added cores.

Apparently the turbo in the quad is limited and in the case of the i7 I have been told it might go to 3.0 GHZ in turbo mode whereas the Extreme Core 2 will quite happily maintain 3.6GHZ all day. I guess the main question is whether 2 x 3.6 GHZ would run FSX faster than 4 X 3.0 GHZ ? 

Im not looking for much in the way of scenery. I will be much more focused on the VC mode while being in and out of the clouds.

If anyone is running FSX on a lappie with similar specs, it would be great to hear from you. Or any input would be helpful really 

Cheers

1. Intel Core i7 3840qm (2.8-3.8)

8GB 1333mhz

120GB SSD

2. Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 (800mhz FSB) 3.6 GHZ stable

4GB DDR2

500GB Hybrid SSD

sorry i forgot to add that the laptops are supported with the following video cards....

1. GT670M

2. 9800GTX SLI

If you install sp 2 and use affinity mask it will use more cores but on a laptop given space limintation.....

honestly it could use more than one core.

No contest, the i7 will be WAY faster than the Dual Core in FSX. Also definitely go with the GT670M, its been proven many times FSX runs better on nVidia.

However be careful with laptops, modern laptops will clock WAY down when running on battery power only. If you want full laptop performance, you will need to be plugged into the wall or buy a gaming laptop that will not reduce its performance when unplugged. Obviously, battery duration will be very short on battery only.

There is absolutely no doubt that option 1 is the best option.

The 3840qm is capable of Turbo up to 3.6GHz Whilst using all 4 cores. I would suspect FSX to be running at those speeds as you won't use the iGPU.

The 670M is also much more suitable for FSX.

FSX needs 3 cores to provide maximum FPS. Beyond 3 cores is only helping with load time and ground texture and terrain loading.

A dual core will provide the same FPS as a 3+ core some times, but other times it'll only give you 2/3rd of the FPS. It depends on how Windows schedules FSX to run at that particular time.