Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noel

VID versus Vcore as set in the BIOS: confused as to the difference

I'm looking at this re voltage specification values for SB-E.  What I'm not sure of is how the supplied voltage in the BIOS relates to these published VID range values:

VCC VID Range  0.6 - 1.35V

If I set Vcore in the BIOS to 1.35V does this imply the PSS will supply a maximum of 1.35V to each core only as needed, decreasing supplied voltage if less voltage than 1.35V is required for low demand states, or is each core actually having 1.35V pumped thru each core no matter the demand? 

It seems for modest overclocks for 3930K I'm seeing 1.28V up to 1.32V as what has been required in the BIOS for over clocks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

VID means that the CPU requests a specific voltage for each clockspeed. This is how the CPU operates at stock to get to its different turbo speeds. How much Vcore for each clockspeed differs from CPU to CPU but it's hardcoded in them.

If you use offset Vcore to overclock you will offset the Voltage VID request by the CPU.

If you use fixed Vcore you'll feed that voltage to the cpu cores all the time (unless speedstep and Cstates kick in.)

VID means that the CPU requests a specific voltage for each clockspeed. This is how the CPU operates at stock to get to its different turbo speeds. How much Vcore for each clockspeed differs from CPU to CPU but it's hardcoded in them.

If you use offset Vcore to overclock you will offset the Voltage VID request by the CPU.

If you use fixed Vcore you'll feed that voltage to the cpu cores all the time (unless speedstep and Cstates kick in.)

Have to look into a guide for overclocking SB-E as the parts will be here maybe today!  I don't care about bleeding edge performance, I would just like to get the 3930K up to 4.2 or 4.3 is fine, memory to 2133 if able.  I have ample cooling.   I guess there will be an XMP setting for the memory sticks, but if that fails then will play w/ manual configuration and try 2133.