Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

A Niggle (sound file!)

Can anyone help me locate a sound file that is driving me crazy? It was originally associated (I think?) with one or two (superb!) fighter planes I installed into FS9, but also repeats ad nauseum when I fly a number of jets. The file says: "Terrain! - *bleep* *bleep* - PULL! UP!". This goes on on and on, even when the nearest terrain is thousands of feet below me until I am swearing at the moron to belt up! I've searched the whole FS9 partition (default sound folder and all aircraft sound folders) for .wav files and played half of them (took ages!), but it just doesn't seem to be there. Nor can I see any reference to a terrain warning in any sound.cfg file. Any ideas, so that I can delete/nobble the file?Many thanks,Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Martin:This sounds like it's part of a Ground Proximity Warning System guage. Not a sound file although the guage may be calling for a sound file. My suggestion is going to be painstaking but it's the only way I know how to find it.First, download and install a guage cleaning utility called FS Guages. I think it's here at the library. If not, try http://www.fsGauges.com.Then move the entire guage folder out of the FS folder for safe keeping (but don't delete it ..you're going to need to put back in a couple of steps). In fact, I'd zip the guages folder to a backup just to be safe.After you've moved it, run FS Guages. You want the 'probe for missing guages' selection from the menu. Depending on the number of airplanes in your Aircraft folder, you may need to go get dinner or something... FS Guages is going to produce an HTML list, sorted by aircraft of all the missing guages. And it can be copied to a *.txt file if you want to save it. Of course, that list is going to be all of them...every guage for every panel. And if you have the same panel on different airplanes, it will show up everytime. This is a really nifty tool...Now, create an empty guages folder in the main FS folder. Using the HTML report, add one airplane set of guages back to the FSguages folder one aircraft at a time. Once an airplane is back in, go fly it. Is the GPWS active? If yes, you've found the guage set. If no, go on to the next airplane.Once you've found the guage set, go to the original archive where you downloaded that panel. Look through the archive and test any *.wav files. Once you find it, you'll know what sound file you're looking for. Remove that file and voila' no more warning...Another way is the samething but rem out the GPWS guage in the panel.cfg. Of course, none of the callouts will work then but the annoying one would be gone. Like I said, really painstaking but it's the only way I know. Hope this helps...Bob L

Bob,Thanks for this. I have the gauge cleaning utility already in fact. I never used it again after the first time because it kept reporting that 75% of my gauges weren't connected to a panel - which was not true. When I experimented by putting them into a backup folder, half my panel gauges disappeared. Needless to say I wasn't very impressed!It may be useful for this exercise though - I'll follow through and see what happens. I don't need the proximity warning in any case - I can see where the ground is, and even if I do crash once in a blue moon, it's less annoying than this man shouting at me when I am trying to bring in my 747!!Martin :-)