Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Runaway autothrottle in FS2004

Guest ThrottleUp

Greetings simmers :)Could you tell me what Im doing wrong here?I go to flight planner, plan a flight, place the airplane at the gate and then program the autopilot:1. I dial in the altitude2. Select rate-of-climb3. Select NAV4. Dial in the speed 5. Turn on the flight director6. Arm the autothrottleI then press the NAV, IAS and ALT buttons (see below)http://www.flightsim.com/howto/fs9b737/unlocked.jpgAnd the next thing I know is that Im rammed into the side of the terminal :(Because *as soon as I press the IAS button* the engines roar to full power and if Im not quick the parking brake is defeated and the plane jumps ahead and starts rolling. No problem if this is on a runway but I like starting at the gate for a more wannabe airline pilot feel!This happens *WITHOUT* the A/P switch turned on. It did not happen in FS2000...what am I doing wrong in FS2004?Im not well-versed on airplane systems but I thought autopilot functions come online only when you flick that A/P switch?Can someone help!Thanks! :)

The autothrottle is independent to the autopilot.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest allcott

Zane is right. Auto throttle and auto pilot are entirely separate functions.And NEVER engage any auto function on the ground! The autopilot should only be engaged AFTER you have taken off and have established a climb rate, speed and attitude that is in trim. Same goes for autothrottle. You can set the appropriate numbers but you take off manually. If you don't the aircraft will not be in trim when you switch the a/p on and it DEFINITELY wont be when you switch it off. Hope this helps.Allcott

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks to both of u for the advice :)<<<< You can set the appropriate numbers but you take off manually. >>>>I always take off manually, get to about 2000 feet and then flick on the autopilot.Now in FS2000 I used to engage autopilot functions on the ground (including pressing the IAS button)....and nothing used to happen...*until* I turned the A/P switch on.This does not work in FS2004, anyway I shall definetly take your advice and not engage any A/P functions while on the ground! Need to get rid of bad FS2000 habits!:)

Guest allcott

Yes, FS2000 mollycoddled the a/p functions. But you can switch the selectors to live on the a/p in FS2004 and not switch on the a/p WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE AUTOTHROTTLE. That goes `live` even if the a/p is off, as you have found. Much more realistic!Allcott