Hey all,

I have a quick question. I'm going to upgrade my system and a friend of mine came with a suggestion. I could keep my current i7 920 and OC it to 3.5-4 GHz, or buy the i5 4670k and OC it. The GPU will be a Nvidia GTX 770. Which one would be better for FSX (and the upcoming PMDG 777 with high detail airport sceneries) Please tell me what you would do, and why. Thanks!

Greetings.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I'm looking into building a Haswell i5 4670K myself. I have heard that the Haswell chips are faster than it's predecessor's. So I think you would notice a difference if you can OC it up to around 4.3ghz with the proper cooling and voltage. I have heard nothing but good reviews on the GTX 770, so good choice there. Keep in mind that the PMDG and other addons are going to be hard on the system regardless of what processor and speed you have. This just comes from what other people have been saying. So, if you have the money, I would definetly invest in the i5 4670K or maybe i7 4770K for better cache. Have you read Nick N's Bible on FSX? Google it and alot of your questions will be answered thoroughly. Good luck.

Hey all,

I have a quick question. I'm going to upgrade my system and a friend of mine came with a suggestion. I could keep my current i7 920 and OC it to 3.5-4 GHz, or buy the i5 4670k and OC it. The GPU will be a Nvidia GTX 770. Which one would be better for FSX (and the upcoming PMDG 777 with high detail airport sceneries) Please tell me what you would do, and why. Thanks!

Greetings.

Since you say that you intend to "upgrade" your system I hope that you mean build a new system, since the i5 4670K use a different socket (LGA1150) than the i7 920 (LGA1366). You need a new mobo as well.

Yes I was aware of that. I've decided to build a whole new Haswell system. Thanks for your comment.

If you're going to build a "whole new Haswell system," you would be better off with the i7-4770K, which tends to overclock a bit higher than the 4670, and the i7 will give you slightly better performance than the i5 (hyperthreading and larger cache).

The best combo for performance currently seems to be the i7-4770 with the GTX 780 . . . especially if you are using HD cockpits and scenery (the 780 has 3GB of VRAM). This may cost more than you want to spend right now, but I think you would be happier with the end result.  I do get that most of us are limited in how much we can spend, or what we feel like the best "bang-for-the-buck" is,

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Best bang for the buck is 4670K. Highest performer for also higher price is 4770K. Combine them with fast low latency RAM. 2133MHz CL10 can be had for only a few $€£ more than 1600 CL9 today, and is worth that. Can you find faster for not much more, even better. Either of the Haswell chips at stock speeds will be faster than the i7 920 @ 4 GHz.

Your current 9800GTX will already be holding you back on your current system, even if you don't use any additional AA through inspector. Not sure if the 770 is the best bang for the buck card, it is a good performer thou, but it surely is better bang for the buck then the 780. But if you want more performance thou...

Best bang for the buck is 4670K. Highest performer for also higher price is 4770K. Combine them with fast low latency RAM. 2133MHz CL10 can be had for only a few $€£ more than 1600 CL9 today, and is worth that. Can you find faster for not much more, even better. Either of the Haswell chips at stock speeds will be faster than the i7 920 @ 4 GHz.

Your current 9800GTX will already be holding you back on your current system, even if you don't use any additional AA through inspector. Not sure if the 770 is the best bang for the buck card, it is a good performer thou, but it surely is better bang for the buck then the 780. But if you want more performance thou...