Sign in to follow this  
Finnerz

Which eyepoint to use for virtual cockpit merge

Firstly, two apologies.  1: sorry if this is somewhere else on the forum, I did have a look and only found something close, but not specific to my question.  2: sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum - other topics related to VC merges were also in this section.

I have been trying to merge the Just Flight freemium B757 virtual cockpit with the skyspirit2010 B767-300ER Rolls Royce FSX model, and all is fine except for one thing.  As others have found in merges, the default vc eyepoint is somewhat forward of the vc model.  I have been reading about how to change this so the eyepoint is in the vc, but I was wondering if this is the correct eyepoint in relation to the rest of the aircraft.  Is the default eyepoint (i.e. forward of the vc model where the real 767 cockpit actually would be is in relation to the central aircraft point (datum point?), with the virtual cockpit model in the position it would be in for a 757, or is the cockpit in the correct position for a 767 and just the eyepoint provided wrong.  If the vc has been incorrectly placed, is there any way to rectify this.

Many thanks and please ask if I have been unclear.

Finlay

It comes down to readjusting the eyepoint settings in the a/c configuration file. I just start changing the numbers and reloading the aircraft over and over until its exactly where I want it. Might take a little time, but pretty simple to do. Nothing else is affected...just puts you in the seat position that you desire.

Not sure if that answered every question, but CG is not an issue.

I have both of those aircraft on my sim so if you need a hand I'd be happy to check it out.

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Just did it, see if the aircraft I used matches up with yours: It's a SkySpirit B767-306, KLM paint,

sim=767-300ER-GE-CF6-80C2 (air file)

model=BWL

The eyepoint settings I used are 

[views]

eyepoint=63.59, -1.8, 7.4

The first set adjusts fwd-back, second set left-right, third set up down...or x, y, z axes.

So thanks for that, I now have a new aircraft/panel combo to fly with!

cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Thanks for your replies.  I think I have pretty much the same except the Rolls Royce model (I'm a bit of a BA fan).  I'm guessing that the BWL model is with winglets, and BL without.  I'm pretty sure it's fine, I'm just slightly worried that putting my eyepoint in the vc model will put it in a place that isn't where the cockpit of the plane actually is.  I believe that the safe-dock systems on some airport scenery rely on this being correct and I have to admit to being a bit pedantic!  Once I've done the eyepoint relocation it's just a matter of trying to adapt the fmc to work for the 767 not 757.

Finlay

I'm just slightly worried that putting my eyepoint in the vc model will put it in a place that isn't where the cockpit of the plane actually is.

Well, I've half answered my own question - unfortunately badly.  By comparing the original eyepoint and the eyepoint once moved into the vc with the exterior model, I have found that the VC is not correctly located.  It is probably where it would be for a 757 in relation to the datum position as opposed to the 767 location, meaning the cockpit is further back than it should be but a few meters.  I now therefore ask the question:

Is it possible to move the FSX native virtual cockpit model in relation to the exterior model, and is there an easy way to check it is in the right place after moving.

Again many thanks

Finlay