Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DylanM

Another interesting observation about DX10

I've been experimenting for some time to try and get the sim running better under load, and was trying to get to the same level of performance with locked frames as with unlimited frames (the performance disparity is especially evident in complex scenery, at high traffic airports, and/or when running high-detail aircraft).

But... after a fair bit of tinkering with various texture "throttles", I think I've chanced upon a setting that works in DX10 and seems to bridge that gap. My settings are very close to those recommended in Paul's how-to doc, and AA in the DX10 Fixer is set at 4X. The only difference is the addition of the following under the "Display" section of the fsx.cfg:

[Display]

TextureMaxLoad=60

That's it!

I tested a number of different values (alone, and in conjunction with a number of different tweaks) and settled on this entry - I started at 12 and worked my way up to 90 (he default is 6 so you can try anything upwards from there if you decide to give this a try).

Running such a high setting in DX9 would more than likely result in graphic spikes and corruption, but the DX10 engine is a completely different animal...

The result - I run locked frames (which works well with the other recommended tweaks and eliminates blurries), while maintaining significantly better smoothness / FPS at busy airports (with AI traffic, road vehicles / boats, airport vehicles, clouds at high, and REX HD cloud textures), even with my middle-of-the-road hardware.

As always, YMMV, but thought I'd share :smile:

Cheers!

Dylan

Another quick note - this is not to be confused with TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD under the "Graphics" section!

And in case you're curious these are some of my other cfg settings:

[GRAPHICS]
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=0

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
D3D10=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

[TrafficManager]
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=3
AirlineDensity=25
FreewayDensity=10
GADensity=10
IFROnly=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=10
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=10

[Weather]
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=7
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

[Main]
DisablePreload=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

[Display]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=1

TextureMaxLoad=60

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84

TERRAIN]
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
WATER_EFFECTS=5
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=3

[bufferPools]
Usepools=0

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Edit - I should add that I also dropped TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to 80 (as shown above) as the two settings are related. Running with 120 was pushing just too much bandwidth for my system...

And some test shots over Cardiff (with a SweetFX setting that finally isn't too dark...!)

lf6a.jpg

xmrz.jpg

lejd.jpg