Sign in to follow this  
BryanCXGan

Monsoon Approach Mission

Sorry if this was posted before.

I just completed the mission, the controller asks something like "Tell me if you need any assistance." Then a message pops out telling me that the mission failed. Then I checked and found that the mission wasn't completed, and there weren't any awards for this mission.

Logbook:

Flight date: 1/26/2006 Flight Time: 4:20 p.m.

Aircraft ID: N747 Aircraft: Boeing 744

Flight Hours: Day 0.4 Night 0.0

Non-instrument 0.1 Instrument 0.2

Multi-engine 0.4

Total: 0.4

Landings: WSSS 1, WSAC 1

Total: 2

First of all, welcome to Avsim!

The fact that the controller asks you if you need any assistance indicates that you either did not land at all or at least not where you are supposed to land (or perhaps you were ordered to go around, for whatever reason, I don't know it that can happen in that particular mission).

The mission is, as far as I remember, only completed when you safely exit the runway and IIRC you will get taxi instructions of some kind, but I may well be wrong here, it's been a while since I did that mission.

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I always have trouble landing using ILS. There were only like 3/10 that are succesful. Sometimes as I reach the glide slope, the plane pitches up violently to about 40 degrees, increases the altitude very fast and stalls, whch is almost unrecoverable. Sometimes, the plane would go down too fast until I get a "Pull up" warning. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong. (I was pretty sure that I landed at WSSS as I followed the ILS down) Thanks.

I can't remember that mission to all details, so I'm nots ure whether the copilot gives you the ILS freq or not. Provided he did not, did you check you used the correct freq, i.e. the one for 02C. I'm pretty sure that FSX will count it as a fail if you land on the wrong RWY. Same applies for landing short, and probably also for landing long, as there is most likely a certain defined area where you have to land in order for the landing to count as success.

As for the ILS issue: Some planes, especially the rather poorly coded default ones, can show some weird behavior on when capturing the G/S. One of those things can be overshooting the glideslope, then descent below the GS just to overshoot it again the next second. This happens mainly if you fly at too high speeds (too high in terms of "faster than the default AP can react", not in terms of "breaking rules"). However, what you describe is rather odd, because even default planes would keep their altitude as long as the ALT is still engaged.

A short guide for landing on the ILS (in default/strictly SDK planes, that is):

1. FD on, AP on, ALT hold on and set to G/S intercept altitude, HDG/NAV as required

2. ILS frequency dialled into NAV1, switched to active

3. Switch the NAV/GPS switch to the NAV position at least when the Localiser indicator starts moving

4. As soon as that indicator starts moving switch AP mode to NAV (note that you will probably switch NAV off and on again when you switch from GPS mode to NAV)

5. As soon as the G/S indicator starts moving, switch to APP® mode. Note that ALT hold should be on as long as the you have not captured the G/S.

The plane should then descent along the glideslope as long as you switch AP off (technically you could even land with AP on, but there's the danger of FSX acting weird on the last few feet to the RWY, so better disable it and land manually).

I guess you know most (if not all) of the stuff I just explained to you, but since you wanted to know what you did wrong, I just listed all the necessary steps, so you can check of your procedure is correct.