Sign in to follow this  
Fabo

25-27" 4:3? Do they exist?

Hey guys, 

been thinking a bit recently about my eventual future setup. Mainly about visual immersion factor...

As you know, a regular 24-27" LCD screen appears too small from a viewpoint even some 1.5' away. It is big enough that you can not keep yourself focused on the whole area, but too small for any kind of peripherial vision... So I was thinking about how to get it better.

A bigger screen seems obvious in the beginning, but I am concerned about the fact that the edges would be pretty much twice as far from my head compared with center. Unless there is a curved monitor in appropriate size, I need to look elsewhere (although a nice monitor with nice curvature may be cool. Unless Oculus Rift HD. Which would be even better.)

Unfortunately widescreen monitors are not really good for stacking them next to each otther for me... the view ends up way too thin, more or less undisturbed on the sides, but very obviously disturbed from top and bottom. Looking at an old TV I happen to be "storing" next to me, stacking three nice 4:3s looks almost perfect.

Except that 4:3 display market seems about dead. Maybe someone of you might help me... Are decent 4:3 monitors even made in this size range? Maybe for proffesional applications?

Can I buy even one for less than a price of six widescreens+mounting?

What I suppose should fit would be a 4:3 LCD/LED/similar (no CRT) panel, by a reputable enough brand (not having to worry about calibration divergence after two months), solid definition (2400:1800 maybe? 2000ish to 1500ish?).

Much appreciated.

Three 17" LCDs placed in an arc will give you a total screen width of about 44".

With triple views, LFwd,Fwd,RFwd - you've got a 135º visual panorama that's not too far off what is available in a real world cockpit.

At about 25" from your eyes, view and panel is about all you see- no 'puter room distractions!

And the 2D views are fixed in a 135º arc - not swirling around as with Virtual. 

Using CPU friendly 1024 x 768 resolution, the images are as good as higher resolution on large monitors. 

Best of all, these old monitors are often giveaways !!! 

january

Screenie  is "Turning Final for CYYJ R27"