Sign in to follow this  
maf

Winds updating issue

Hi again

As OpusFSX is new to me Im having some issues getting it right. Now its the winds.

Without touching any of the settings, I came in to land at LAX towards the west. Just as the wheels hit the ground winds update immediately and throws me back up in the air (changed from cross to headwind) ruining my landing.

I decided to increase the wx-update supress to 5000 ft and make the wind changes softer/smoother. Coming in to land @ BOS, I had a feeling I would get a repeat. Now it could get bad due to high winds BOS was having at the time of my flight.

And I was right. On final approach winds had locked at 049/33 and I was on approach to RWY27 (METAR said winds@280/14) Just as I touched the main wheels, winds updated and became 280/14G24..

So im wondering how to do this right. One thing is to make it not update below 5000 feet. Another thing is that the winds dont change to actual METAR on approach until main wheels touch the ground..

So now I wonder how I set it straight.

Thanks for helping out.

BTW

I did check out the FAQ-section and I missed this one:

" if your system has severe wind shifts then enable the Use Maximum Stabilisation option too. "

Ì`ll try it out.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Please consult the Using The Live Weather Engine topic in our SimForums, also read the Recommended Practices post within that topic. The next beta and future releases will have a Recommended Practices help button added to the dialog.

Basically ...

Set All Defaults

Set ALL Defaults in ALL Weather related dialogs by opening the dialog and clicking on the Defaults button. In the main OpusFSI Weather Options dialog you should have both of the Adjust Options Automatically and the Adjust Sim Friendly options set.

Before Every Flight

Always specify your Destination and Max Cruise Altitude in the boxes provided in the OpusFSI Weather Options dialog.

You will need to specify a Max Cruise Altitude of at least 6000 feet in order to download and decode the GRIB forecast data from NOAA, used to get true upper wind and temperature forecasts and prepare all upper wind and temperature targets for the sim.

If required you can also specify up to four Alternate destinations and use the Flight Plan Options button to specify and process a flight plan. You may alter the Destination and Alternates any time during the flight but those station METARs will only be given priority after a weather update.

When you are ready click on the Update Weather button to initiate the optional GRIB Data and METAR downloads.

Useful Options

The Disable Weather Update on Startup can be used to prevent the LWE from generating the initial weather automatically on program startup. This can be most useful as it will allow you to specify your intended Destination and Max Cruise Altitude, specify any Alternates, and specify/process your Flight Plan before clicking on the Update Weather button to manually initiate the first weather update. After this all weather updates will be automatic.

If required you can import a set of METARs or a single GLOB (Global) METAR statement, prepared in a simple text file, using the Import METAR Data From File option and its associated Browse button. Be warned this option will override the normal METAR download. Furthermore, with exception to the GLOB METAR (a METAR statement with the GLOB ICAO code), all METARs are location specific and will be discarded if they do not appear on the current Opus 800 x 800 mile weather map.

GRIB Forecast Data

You will need to specify a Max Cruise Altitude of at least 6000 feet in order to download and decode the GRIB forecast data from NOAA, used to get true upper wind and temperature forecasts and prepare all upper wind and temperature targets for the sim. If you have either the Opus Lower Atmoshpere or Upper Atmosphere on-screen weather reports opened then the progress of the GRIB data download, data extraction, data decoding, and general weather preperation will be displayed in the report window.

After the weather has updated you can and should examine the resulting wind and temperature targets using the Opus Lower Atmoshpere or Upper Atmosphere on-screen weather reports, the Opus LWA Cruise Level Wind and Temperature maps, the GRIB Data text report (OpusWeatherReport.txt file in your OpusFSX\Themes folder), or the generated Flight Plan text report (OpusFlightReport.txt file in your OpusFSX\Themes folder). See the Weather Reports section below.

Weather Reports and Maps

Before flight you should get into the habit of checking the varios weather reports and weather maps. Not only will this inform you about the expected weather en route but it will also confirm that all the weather and optional GRIB forecast data has been downloaded and decoded without error.

At the very least you should display and check the Opus on-screen Local, Lower, Upper, and Destination Weather reports. You may also like to examine the various Opus text reports accessed via the FSX Addon menu. There are separate reports showing the downloaded METARs, all the GRIB wind and temperature targets from 4000 feet up to FL540, all the en route weather for any specified flight plan including TAFs if you have enabled them, and finally an easy reference to all relevant SIDs and STARs. This report gives a handy direction and bearing for each listed SID and STAR.

The Opus weather reports (e.g. the Local or Destination Weather report) should be checked during climb and descent to monitor all wind and temperature targets, comparing these with the actual FSX ambient conditions. This way you will know that your sim is operating as expected. Remember the sim will look ahead when adjusting its target winds and temperatures. The Opus Flight Plan text report and LWA Cruise Level Wind/Temperature weather and other maps (e.g. the Precipitation and Lower Cloud Cover maps) may also be useful during the cruise to keep an eye on what lies ahead.

The following Live Weather Assistant (LWA) weather maps are available,

Surface QNH
Surface Winds
Surface Visibility
Surface Temperatures
Cruise Level Winds
Cruise Level Temperatures
Precipitation Levels
Lower Cloud Cover
Met Station Cover

Up to six small weather maps can also be displayed on the screen. These options are also available on a networked client system usually operating in 'No Connection To The Simulator' mode in which case only the SimConnect libraries need be installed using the supplied '.msi' file.

The following text reports are provided and accessed via the sim's Addon Menu,

OpusWeather.txt ... The downloaded METARs
OpusWeatherReport.txt ... The GRIB data report
OpusFlightReport.txt ... The flight plan en route weather report
OpusSIDSTARReport.txt ... The relevant SIDs and STARs report

All these report files are located in your OpusFSX\Themes folder.

Things To Avoid

Never disable the LWE for extended periods or fly any great distance without the LWE enabled. The recommended update frequency and distance can be determined from the defaults but is typically no more that 30 minutes and/or 160km.

Never update the weather in accelerated time without having FSUIPC4 installed. The sim cannot process weather updates correctly when operating in accelerated time. The LWE will automatically take the sim out of accelerated time, back to a x1 sim rate, before updating the weather. The previous sim rate will be restored at the end of the weather update.

Stephen :smile:

I should have also added ...

Never enable a second source of weather. Make sure the sim is not configured to inject RW weather, turn off all weather options in FSUIPC4, if using FSInn then make sure all weather options are disabled, and finally check and make sure no other weather engine is active or running.

Stephen

Thanks! trying my best to read the manuals, but learning how to use live camera and the weather engine at once does require some reading, so its easy to miss out on something important. Thanks again for your help.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I know what you mean, that's why we introduced the Automatic Settings option. I have also started to make this info available via help buttons in the dialogs.

Stephen :-)