Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

New to DX10, a question or two before trying anything.

Hi all,

I've been using fsx for about four years on my i3 Windows 7x64bit system, with a Radeon 5770 card with two monitor outputs, up to now in DX9 mode and everything has run as smooth as silk, I'm very happy with it. However after buying the PMDG 777 and trying to fly EGBB to OMDB a number of times, I've started seeing OOM errors on approach or indeed on touchdown. I've tried flying OMDB to EGBB too and the same thing. Now both scenery's are addon's, UK2000 and FlyTampa respectively, but I have flown to default Auckland and default Boeing field without a problem, using this aircraft! I don't get these errors with any other aircraft, PMDG, A2A, Quality WIngs, Aerosoft etc aircraft!

I started reading the posts on the DX10 forum here just today and notice DX10 can improve OOM errors, and was reading about "Steve's scenery fixer" which has just become available, however reading the information on the purchase page, it states "systems using multiple monitors over multiple GPU's are not supported". Does this mean multiple GPU's as in a networked system or two separate cards in one PC, or like mine a single GPU card with two outputs?

So would switching to DX10 sort out my OOM errors and make fsx even better for me? I'm not after 50-60fps but just a nice steady over 20 would be nice, so long as it's smooth!

I have tried the DX10 preview in fsx, I know there are problems with it, odd textures on runways etc etc. Will I be able to sort these things out, as I don't really want to install something which is going to mess up the whole fsx installation. I haven't done a complete re-install yet and with all my addon's don't really want to either.

So that's it really, will DX10 help to improve fsx more and stop my OOM's?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hey Dave,

I hope I won't blow a trumpet if I say that Steve's DX10 shader fixes are just AWESOME!!! Look at my specs under my avatar - my rig's relatively older and weaker than yours but will you believe that after installing his fixes plus maxing out ALL (and I mean it!) sliders - even for aircraft cast shadows on itself and troublesome water effects - I still get... 75-85 fps?!  :rolleyes: I've never seen such figures from day 1 in FSX...

Go for it but first make sure that you back up fsx.cfg

Regards,

Victor Quebec