Sign in to follow this  
Guest P3_Super_Bee

Question regarding tires.....

Guest ihorizon

Last night at my Dad 80th BD, me and a couple of people were talking about jetliners and someone wondered how long does the tires on the big airliners last before they are replaced.Naturally, everyone turned to look at me due to my avid flight sim hobby and I did not have a clue!!So, how many landing and takeoff cycles take place before the tires are replaced on an airliner on the average??ThanksJohn in Auburn, Ga

Guest B1900 Mech

Depend's, New Captains and new 1st officers are sometimes brutal on rubber,in my experiences. Esp. if the flaps are MEL'd with a nasty crosswind thrown in}( P.S. Notice how new this poor tire was!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/42609.jpg

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Hit the answer right out of the park. For the most part it depends on who is in the seat. Another thing to look at is air pressure. If the pressure in the tires don't match the weight of the aircraft you'll burn 'em up like no tomorrow.(IE On a P-3 an aircraft with a TOW of 135,000 lbs, correct tire pressure has 190psi in the mains and 170 in the nose.) We usually get probably 75-100 landings out of a tire. (No new guys in our squadron, all Pilots are minimum 2nd tour.)Though due to our mission, tires get changed out quite a bit before they are required.EDIT: Another thing to look at for wear is the Runway. Coral runways, eat up tires faster than asphalt runways.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest dkukla

Are tires filled with Nitrogen to eliminate condensation at higher altitudes due to freezing temperatures?

Guest B1900 Mech

Yes, Because you have less tire pressure fluctuations with temp changes. Also nitrogen is free of moisture, therfore reducing corrosion on wheel components, And lastly it is non flamable, so you wont have a potential bomb in the wheelwell.

Another reason for using nitrogen is due to its inert properties with rubber. If you fill a tire to high pressure with regular air and take said tire to high altitude, i.e. above FL400 or so, the oxygen in the air inside the tire begins to react with the rubber and can cause the tire to combust.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 Mechanic