Sign in to follow this  
DickB

FSX Processing Load Blip

First - apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move !

One for the technical gurus I think - while using Task Manager to investigating an unrelated problem, I noticed that with my a/c sitting on the ground, no traffic, while the FSX CPU load was running mainly at around 12-14%, every 37 seconds (really) it would shoot up to 70-90% for a period of about 25 seconds, and then return to normal. 37 seconds later it would do it again. And again. That's a fair chunk of processing.

Does anyone have any idea what would be doing this ? I have the following main add-ons:

Opus - not running

MCE - not running

ASE - not running

The PC runs offline.

Thanks for any help !

That's curious - when I tried to open this topic, AVSIM told me it couldn't ! But I seems it did anyway. Oh well.

Anti-virus running?

Nope. In any event, Task Manager definitely shows the increased load as coming from fsx.exe, not an external process.

I'm going to take another look at this today. I need to check out what dlls and exe's are actually being called by fsx that maybe I don't know about. So far I just killed (I think) the obvious. Will report back if I find the culprit.

Well, I'm foxed. I've removed every addon dll and exe that are automatically started by fsx (there were a few more than I thought), and still something "in FSX" is taking 60-70% of my CPU for 25 seconds every minute. That's with the a/c parked up, engine switched off, and all traffic sliders zero ! Scenery sliders don't seem to have any effect either.

I'm trying to figure what would want to wake up every 30 secs or so, then busy itself, then go to sleep again for another 30 secs. I am wondering whether it could be related to weather (I use ASE, but that's not active). And changing the weather settings to use FSX weather has no effect either.

In fact the only way of quiescing this anomaly is to Pause the sim. That seems to do it, so it's definitely being driven by FSX somehow. And I don't see any blip in any other listed process when this happens.

Any ideas ? Perhaps one or two of you could just try this scenario for me and confirm that what I'm seeing is unusual - park up the default Cessna at a quiet airfield, call up Task Manager/Processes and watch the fsx.exe CPU figure for a couple of minutes. Let me know if you see any blip similar to what is described above.

Also, does anyone know of a tool that might let me get closer to this issue ?

Thanks