Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kolaf

Matching visibility to autogen distance?

I'm trying to get a good balance between visibility and the distance where the autogen is generated. I have noticed that other people say that autogen appears so foreign the distance compared to their invisibility setting that they don't really notice its appearance.

In the video below I have set the LOD to ultra, and also maximised the scenery  complexity and autogen. I'm using Opus for the weather, and in the weather settings I have selected a surface visibility of 32 km (if I remember correctly, at this it was one of the lower values). Still, as you can see towards the end of the video you can quite clearly see how sections of autogen are filled in in front of the plane. Granted, it is quite far away, and further away than it was in FSX, but it is still very visible, at least once you have noticed it.

So my question is, is the visibility that is shown in this video realistic? Should it be more or less? It was a pretty clear day below the cloud cover...  If it should be more or less, how would I go about changing it? I don't really see any impact of changing the surface visibility settings in Opus, perhaps there are some other setting I am missing?

Appreciate the help,
kolaf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1tVyVlPTU&feature=youtu.be

I don't really see any impact of changing the surface visibility settings in Opus, perhaps there are some other setting I am missing?

Haven't watched the video yet but afaik those visibility sliders in OpusFSX only or mainly have an effect when you are on the ground. Or something like that. And how far you can see while flying is simply a result of the current weather. I don't think you can limit visibility with OpusFSX for every stage of the flight.

The visibility sliders in P3D on the weather setup page in fact change the weather situation, making if more foggy: you aren't changing the visibility but you are changing the weather and HENCE the visibility.

I don't think it is possible to set a hard limit for visibility that overrides any weather situation.

I've been flying all day today heading back home (in real life).

It's been clear skies. One of things I've noticed is how truly hazy and limited visibility is in real life.

The horizon is defined somewhat but no more then 10-15 miles away from the plane things are decidedly hazy. This is something FSX hasn't simulated well in the past, where things are often too bright, too clear, and too well defined 30-50 miles out even with technically proper visibility settings. 

Haven't watched the video yet but afaik those visibility sliders in OpusFSX only or mainly have an effect when you are on the ground. Or something like that. And how far you can see while flying is simply a result of the current weather. I don't think you can limit visibility with OpusFSX for every stage of the flight.

Thanks. That saves me from wrong any more time om those settings :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There is haze in the distance in the video, but it is perhaps too far away...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk