Hi!

I plan to buy a new pc. 

Do you think a AMD FX-8350 with 8x4Ghz, 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GT630 4096MB (Win 7 64bit) would have enough power that FSX with PMDG777, REX, Addon-sceneries and with very high settings could work without lags?

I know, intel i7 is almost the best for FS, but this FX-8350 looks quite interesting and it is much cheaper...

Thank you!

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

i5 if you are on a budget. If you have the cash to spare then i7. Bear in mind that you would also have to get the appropriate motherboard for the processor e.g. i5 3570k would require a z77 series motherboard and a 4570k needs a z78 series motherboard.

If you can overclock up to ~4GHz on either of the i5 or i7 it will run over the top of the AMD processors.

Not sure about your graphics card choice either, will not perform well for fsx. Ideally you would want to match up wih either a GTX670/GTX770 or even a GTX680/780 for best performance. You could consider a GTX660/760 if your budget would not allow any of the other choices.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

another possibility for me is intel i7-3770@4x3,4Ghz /GXT650 4096MB/ 16GB RAM 

Thats better than AMD FX-8350, although it is only quadcore and not 8core?

A 4 core i7 is more than capable at running FSX and a very good level. I'm sure someone else with a bit more technical expertise can back me up, but fsx wont make use out of all 8 cores. The GTX650 probably still won't cut it. I suggest a GTX660 as a minumum.

I'm running a GTX660ti paired with a 3770k @ 4.5GHz and get a fairly good smooth experience with sufficient detail.

Jaime Boyle

pilotbanner.jpg

another possibility for me is intel i7-3770@4x3,4Ghz /GXT650 4096MB/ 16GB RAM 
Thats better than AMD FX-8350, although it is only quadcore and not 8core?

I has to do with how the chip is designed. Intel's chips have fewer cores, but each core is faster the AMD ones. The and processor has more cores that are slower than the intel chips. Because of this, the problem is two faced. The intel chips are significantly faster for single threaded applications like FSX, but are tied with amd for multithreaded applications like photoshop. For FSX, intel is the clear winner.

Overall, the i5 4670 is the best choice for fsx, if you do not want to overclock. If you are willing to overclock, which I recommend, get the i5 4670k, and a z87 motherboard instead of an h87 one.

With the video card and RAM, drop the RAM down to 8gb. You will not notice a difference, since fsx can only use 4gb at any given time, and the other 4gb is more than enough for everything else. Then with the extra 50 dollars in saving, get at least a GTX 660 or 670. A GT 630 won't cut it that well.

It would help all of us if you were willing to tell us your budget.

I know that the prices are in dollars, but here is what I would recommend:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Microcenter) 
Motherboard:  Asus Z87-C ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.49 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($20.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $947.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-15 15:19 EST-0500)

Haha you just beat me too the punch! 

I had a look at the website I purchase all my PC parts from (in the UK so prices are in pounds). I came up with near enough the same specs as Ryan posted above. If you are comfortable building the computer yourself then the parts list above is the way to go!
There are a lot of guides out there for building the computer and, once finished building, overclocking. Also, the members here at Avsim can be a lot of use  ^_^ .

Jaime Boyle

pilotbanner.jpg

Thank you very much!

I actually prefer to buy a whole pc instead of buying all parts and put them together myself...

I found one pc; i5-4670k x3,4Ghz, GXT-760 2048MB (enough for FSX or should it have 4GB?) and 8GB RAM.

MY old pc has intel i3-530 2,93Ghz, will i notice a big difference with the new PC? And does the new pc have enough power for PMDG777, REX and addon scenery? Because my old pc is already lagging if im using pmdg737 and quite low settings...

That pc will be fine! Maybe a slight overclock is needed but even at stock speeds you will notice a considerable difference.

Jaime Boyle

pilotbanner.jpg