Sign in to follow this  

Nice default places to fly while waiting for addons?

If "no VOR nearby", how can you pick one radial to fly on? Didn't you mean if there is a VOR nearby?

Great link about ourairports.mobi by the way, especially if looking for nearby airports.

Thanks

No, I meant when no VOR is nearby, so when the airport itself has no VOR. You of course has to be in range of a VOR in order to use it but it can be miles and miles away from the airport.

Check out the VOR tutorial I wrote for MS Flight (...) which of course also applies to P3D or any other sim.

Let me quote an example of what I meant to say:

D. Triangulation: how to get anywhere with the use of VOR

Now you know how to intercept radials inbound and outbound, you can use two VORs at the same time to get you anywhere you want to, for instance to an airport that has no VOR nearby. If (for example) an airport has two VORs close enough to get in contact with, there always will be TWO radials (and no more) that will intersect at that position! If you would have a map you could draw a line from the center of one VOR to that airport and then draw another line from the center of the other VOR to that airport. Those two lines are the radials you need and where the lines intersect is where you have to fly to!

6975264954_8b50d98c8c_o.jpg

The biggest thing that finally made that click with me is the all important TO and FROM arrow.. I was so trained to just dial it in for TO it completely and utterly didn't click with me you can fly to any single place you want FROM it if you just have the right radial.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Bill quick question for you, do you have tessellation enabled and if you do, do you get bouncing on runways with the Carenado CT182T ??

p.s. i learned to vor navigate doing the ring of fire challenge in a Hawker Hunter, and that was bloody hard as you could have quite a few 100nm between vor's and using real world weather well.. drift gauge came in handy it also gave me my love for steam gauges over glass cockpits

-Paul-

Bill quick question for you, do you have tessellation enabled and if you do, do you get bouncing on runways with the Carenado CT182T ??

Hiya Gandy... Yes I do and yes I do.. She's a bouncer.  :lol:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

No, I meant when no VOR is nearby, so when the airport itself has no VOR. You of course has to be in range of a VOR in order to use it but it can be miles and miles away from the airport.

I do know how to navigate with a VOR but if the airport you are in has no VOR and if there isn't one in range after you take off, then you need to rely on charts to choose a bearing to somewhere before you can do any kind of triangulation and get to your intended destination.

Fun to do in a flight simulator but not so much fun in a real plane with no autopilot while trying to keep the plane right side up :)

use visual rules landmarks etc.. or a map of the local area helps and if you are over water or an area that has no real landmarks use a drift gauge or drift calculator

-Paul-

Map helps a lot.. I use Plan-G a lot but I very rarely connect to the simulator itself (I think the little plane marker telling you which way your pointed is cheating).. 

I do know how to navigate with a VOR but if the airport you are in has no VOR and if there isn't one in range after you take off, then you need to rely on charts to choose a bearing to somewhere before you can do any kind of triangulation and get to your intended destination.

Ahh, yes, of course!!! Sorry for misunderstanding your post! ^_^