Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Walsh

Variation between FS9 upper temp and AS6.5 data

Hi all,

I started to noticed that the upper level SAT temperatures in FS9 varied slightly to those being displayed in the winds aloft pane of AS6.5. To find out of there was a particular trend, I collected upper wind data from four different airports (KLAX, KORD, SBGL and FACT) and compared the wind data in FS9 to that being downloaded from AS6.5. For each level (FL030, FL060, FL090, FL120, FL180 and FL240), the temperature in FS9 was between -3.5 and -4.5*C cooler than AS6.5.

In total I have 24 data points and they all display the same difference. To me this indicates that the difference is not random.

Has anybody else come across this and can explain what is going on and how to fix it. I have 100% accuracy for upper wind set in AS6.5 too.

Cheers.

David.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The difference is minuscule, I am also pretty sure Active sky applies a variance between reported and actual temps as per real world.

edit - apologies, if you have 100% accuracy it should be working fine. Would be best to contact the support team.

I have done some more research and it turns out that the temperatures at FL300 and above are accurate, it is just the reports for FL240 - FL030 that are out by 3.5-4.5*C.

I have also saved a few weather logs from FSUIPC and noted that the temperature data through FSUIPC is the same as what FS is displaying. Whilst this may seem obvious, it would indicate to me that the changes are being made between AS and it being inputted to FS via FSUIPC.

I'm also not 100% sure how Aloft Predicability works but I have been changing the values from 100% to 40% to see what happens and I have not noted any changes to the accuracy of the weather (taking into account the -3.5 to -4.5*C change I see) for 100%, 80%, 60% or 40% predicability. When would I expect to see the variations? Does it require a Flight Plan to be entered into AS?

Also, given AS6.5 is so old now and not supported, would I expect to recieve any assistance from the AS support team?

Is there any chance that somebody could run a quick experiment for me with Aloft Predicability at 100% and just check whether I am the only person that notices this disparity? I am using ASv6.5 B554 with FS2004 9.1.

Would appreciate any further help on the subject.

Cheers.