Sign in to follow this  
JimD737

Delta Connection Academy vs. Continental Express Deal With Kent State University

Guest usairways_jett2

Im almost done with my junior year in high school, and im deciding between 2 places to go 1. Delta Connection Academy 2. Kent State UHas any one been through these programs? to tell the pros and cons on either of them???I do know that i sent info for the delta academy, and there willing to fly me down for free to look at it....but..Kent State offers continental, plus any minors in a college atmosphere...Any body have any advice, or experience with these 2 places?

Guest speedbird326

Hey,I'm going through the college process too and looking at both those schools. I couldn't tell from your post, but are you familiar with Delta Connection Academy's partnership with University of Jacksonville? You can get your degree and do the flight training at the same time-same as Kent State. I think it'd be worth it for you to get University of Jacksonville's set of info too, as it contains quite a bit on the flight program.Good luck,MarcMarc Gibson

Guest usairways_jett2

Hey Marc, Im going to call Delta, and take advantage of going down there to view the campus, since Delta will fly you and a parent/spouse free... Matt

Guest cw1011

If you can, make sure you come out of this with a degree that says Bachelor of something along with your flying credentials. You will never regret having a college degree, especially if your life takes you down paths beyond driving airplanes (like running a flying company, writing about flying, teaching about aviation etc.). You also want to give yourself every leg up in an competitive hiring environment. A college degree shows you have the drive and mental ability to complete a rigorous 4-year course of study. Just my $.02.

Gents,I, too, have been checking out flight academies. I have a degree and am fast approaching 40. I have not yet made up my mind, purely on finding a co-signer to the loans. Let me share some of what I've found out in the last 3 months.1. Delta Connection Academy WILL cost you $70,000-$80,000 from Instrument to MEI (I have my PPL). Other academies will cost less, some more.(Not sure about your financial situation, but $70k is ALOT of money)2. Ask questions. Do not be shy. It is your credit rating.3. Investigate the facilities AND the aircraft. I highly suggest arranging a visit. DCA (Delta Connection Academy) has some older aircraft but are replacing them with new aircraft. Another school I checked out has all new aircraft (3yrs+) and replace their engines at 3000hours. Another school claimed to have 9 aircraft but a friend visited them and saw that 3 were missing parts and not flying.4.IF you do pass the curriculum and get your CFII/MEI, you come out with approximately 250 additional hours. There may also be a waiting list of instructors so you might have to wait your turn (that's if your school hires you).5.Some regionals are hiring at about 800 hours and a rumor I heard doubles that for one of them. 6. Yes the school will guarantee you INTERVIEWS. They do not guarantee JOBS.7. Read up on the airlines via the web or magazines. They can tell you who's hiring and who's not.It's tough out there. Investigate what you want to do. ASK QUESTIONS.My suggestion? For now, Play the POWERBALL! :) Seriously, IMHO, get the degree first. What would be your plan if you were furloughed without a degree? There are ~9800 currently furloughed pilots as of 11/11/2003.Tailwinds and Best Regards,Jim