Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Serious ILS Approaches problem

Hello PilotsRecently I have problem with the proper ILS approaches.The ATC is giving me approach instruction, which is course and heading about """"""""""45 Nm"""""""" from the airport .None of the ILS instruments on the plane are active with this distance.Any adviceThanksEPZA http://www3.sympatico.ca/seroka/Kurt.wmv

Guest bobsk8

You are just supposed to fly the heading and altitude given you until you intercept the ILS.

Hi Bobsk8"You are just supposed to fly the heading and altitude given you until you intercept the ILS.""Yes, I understand that but The MSFS 9 is giving me vectors 42 nm from airport, my instruments are not catching the frequency of ILS and there is no instruction coming from ATC .I

45 nm out is quite a distance out for an ILS to be active. I would suspect 20 nm might be more realistic. ILS localizers are meant to be short range because of the limited frequency range available for assignments. I also believe that there is a limited AGL so if you are very high at 45 nm out you still may not get it.As the other poster stated, if you are on vectors fly the heading and indicated altitudes for interception and make sure your frequency and course are set correctly. If you do not have an EHSI instrument in your panel that displays the navaid id, turn on in your panel audio selector the audio for your nav1 to see if you are picking up the morse code id.If there is an NDB or VOR near the approach path you can use that for positional awareness.Lastly, remember that the localizer portion of an ILS frequency when tuned on a nav receiver is put into a higher horizontal sensitivity mode at ILS frequencies. The H indicator will only start to move when you are within a few degrees of interception.So I suggest this:Be sure you are at the correct frequency.Listen to your nav1 audio to correctly identify the correct ILS or verify it on your EHSI if you have that facility. This will also tell you if you are within reception range.Be sure to set the correct course.Use a colocated navaid for position awareness. Search the forum for links to approach plates. You can use your ADF to listen and show you an NDB direction frequently located on the approach path as the outer marker. You can also use your nav2 to give you an idea of the location of a nearby vor if available. Depending on your panel instruments you might have a compass rose display with "needles" pointing to your nav2 vor and the NDB.All this being said, if you are approaching a runway that shares the same frequency for an independent ILS at each end, in FS9 the correct ILS will only become active within a few degrees of the inbound beam. If not within that range you may be picking up the localizer at the wrong end giving you the reversed beam reading. That is why I suggest listening to the audio or reading the ID readout on your EHSI to insure you are using the correct one for guidance.

Hi RonzieThank you for your informing answer.Flying instruments should be coordinate with ATC instruction.The problem is like I said before FS9 ATC in this particular airport(LOWI Innsbruck) is giving me last vectors info about 40nm from airport and that set.To finish my approach I fly to Rattenberg NDB 303.00 and after that I catch ILS runway 26.However I should get vectors from ATC if I fly IFR.If you wouldn